Notices
Classic Trucks '47-'98 GM Trucks - Performance | Conversions | General Discussion

Your not gonna believe this

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 03:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your not gonna believe this

Man o man so I got this overheating problem on this 91 chevy 1500 swb step side it's got a 5.7 with a 5 speed in it.sp here's the story I buy this wrecked 94 accord slap on some pnp parts and rattle can the front end and trade this guy even for the truck I have now anywho I've only had the truck for about 6 months so when I get it there's a over heating problem but only on the highway.it will go to about 240 to red on the highway so I was thinking since I got some overtime I'm gonna get down to the bottom of this so I take advice from people on other forums with the exact same problems they all said bad radiator so I go down to the zone and get one put it in and same problem that was 140 down the drain so now i say alright I guess I'll get a water pump its only 30 bucks no problem I slap it on and still same results so I say ok I'm gonna take if this right now pull the thermostat out and got the exact same results and I knew it wasn't the gauge cus it was boiling hot so by now I'm just frustrated and turn to my dad for help and he says check the clutch fan and if its good then it's probi ly the head gasket so I do the spin test on my clutch fan and it only spins half a turn start the truck it spins like its supposed to I rev it up to 4 grand for a minute strait and the fan was still spinning so I say that's it i had enough of this and I start tearing into this motor so long story short I pull the heads and the head gaskets aren't blown fudge cycle yea so while the heads were off me and my brother re seated the intake valves and put new umbrella seats on the intake side of these heads cus the intake valves were saturated with oil so it wasn't a complete waste of time so after that I put this SB back together thinking maybe I fixed the problem right new water pump no tstat new radiator new head gaskets and lower intake gaskets new coolant o by the way when I tore the engine apart I found sped pro 30 over pistons and crane cam double valve springs in the head so that was cool to see anywho I do all this and work go for a test drive and surprise surprise right in your eyes the sane freaking problem so after the test drive tonight I was ready robust this truck for target practice lol so while I got the hose on the truck running trying to cool it off my brother walks up and say man there's a lot of heat coming out of the front of your truck like there was a fan on the other side of the radiator so I said what!i felt it and felt the side pointing towards the motor and it was blowing air but barley so I pull off the clutch fan assembly to investigate and some jackass bolted the damn fan on backwards the word front was imprinted on the fan blades and it was pointed towards so long story I wasted about 350 dollars and my weekend doing pointless work to my ol chevy all because somebody bolted the fan on backwards!can you believe that ****
Old 09-02-2013, 08:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

lmao.. never heard of that one. sorry to hear it happened to you but at least you know your good to go for a good while with that engine and cooling system
Old 09-02-2013, 09:06 AM
formerly slow03 (11-04-2011)

Originally Posted by Shtbox
Man o man so I got this overheating problem on this 91 chevy 1500 swb step side it's got a 5.7 with a 5 speed in it.

Here's the story, I buy this wrecked 94 accord slap on some pnp parts and rattle can the front end and trade this guy even for the truck I have now. Anywho, I've only had the truck for about 6 months, so when I get it there's an over heating problem but only on the highway. It will go to about 240 to red on the highway so I was thinking since I got some overtime I'm gonna get down to the bottom of this.

So I take advice from people on other forums with the exact same problems. They all said bad radiator, so I go down to the zone and get one put it in. Same problem, so that was 140 down the drain.

So now I say alright I guess I'll get a water pump its only 30 bucks no problem. I slap it on and still same results. So I say ok I'm gonna take care of this right now. I pull the thermostat out and got the exact same results.

I knew it wasn't the gauge cus it was boiling hot so by now I'm just frustrated and turn to my dad for help. He says check the clutch fan and if its good then it's probably the head gasket. So I do the spin test on my clutch fan and it only spins half a turn start the truck it spins like its supposed to. I rev it up to 4 grand for a minute strait and the fan was still spinning, so I say that's it i had enough of this and I start tearing into this motor.

So long story short I pull the heads and the head gaskets aren't blown fudge cycle, yea. So while the heads were off me and my brother re seated the intake valves and put new umbrella seats on the intake side of these heads cus the intake valves were saturated with oil. So it wasn't a complete waste of time.

So after that I put this SB back together thinking maybe I fixed the problem right, new water pump, no tstat, new radiator, new head gaskets and lower intake gaskets, new coolant.

Oh, by the way, when I tore the engine apart I found sped pro 30 over pistons and crane cam double valve springs in the head. So that was cool to see.

Anywho, I do all this and work go for a test drive and surprise surprise, right in your eyes the same freaking problem. So after the test drive tonight I was ready to bust this truck for target practice. lol.

So while I got the hose on the truck running, trying to cool it off, my brother walks up and says man there's a lot of heat coming out of the front of your truck. Like there was a fan on the other side of the radiator. So I said what! I felt it and felt the side pointing towards the motor and it was blowing air but barley. So I pull off the clutch fan assembly to investigate and some jackass bolted the damn fan on backwards the word front was imprinted on the fan blades and it was pointed towards the block.

So long story I wasted about 350 dollars and my weekend doing pointless work to my ol chevy all because somebody bolted the fan on backwards! Can you believe that ****

Glad you got it worked out ok.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:52 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

Thats pretty funny!
Old 09-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Launching!

Yea atomic it's funny now lol so simple of a problem fixed thanks slow 08 and yea whippled I should be good for a while now till I can afford the good ol lm7 swap everyone's so fond of lol I drove home from new branfuls to San Antonio and I didn't even hit the first dash on the gauge(half moon style)22 mile drive so I think I'm good for now
Old 09-02-2013, 02:23 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

that was hard to read hung over...

cliff notes:

had an over heating issue. tried replacing the radiator, the pump, thermostat, gaskets and still had this damn over heating problem. come to find out some jackass bolted the fan blades on the wrong way!!! atleast I have a completely new cooling system on my truck now

and welcome to the forum
Old 09-02-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Shtbox
Yea atomic it's funny now lol so simple of a problem fixed thanks slow 08 and yea whippled I should be good for a while now till I can afford the good ol lm7 swap everyone's so fond of lol I drove home from new branfuls to San Antonio and I didn't even hit the first dash on the gauge(half moon style)22 mile drive so I think I'm good for now
cooling system.. check
turbo or supercharger next?
Old 09-02-2013, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This thread is not punctuation or grammar friendly. That was one long *** sentence.

Glad you got it figured out, seems to always be the simple things.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Launching!

Thanks txsilverado I'm sure this forums going to be a great deal of help when I get to swapping.yea that's what I need wipple lol just not on a tbi haha.my bad slammed silvy it was like 3 in the morning just got done putting this SB together and was tired.