Notices
Classic Trucks '47-'98 GM Trucks - Performance | Conversions | General Discussion

carb'd gen IV LY6 6.0L w/GMPP LSX/LS3 dual plane intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys for all the opinions but lets keep it civil.
Keep in mind this truck is a toy, not a daily driver. And since I will be racing it...I went with a carb.

The headers are from Dynatech. They are their LSx swap headers for '70-'81 Camaros. They are 1 7/8" with 3" primaries. The exhaust is also 3"

pics of them before install and during mockup:

also.....this truck won't be technoly deprived...the MSD 6LS2 box can be set to retard the timing for easy starts and I'll have a pair of these monitoring my O2 readings on both sides...to get it "dialed in":

Last edited by TXoldskool; 03-05-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:12 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

You ve got the best geared auto trans that GM ever built.

Not a super long 1st gear, but not too short where you have huge rpm drop from 1st to 2nd, and the super deep 0.67:1 OD for highway cruising.

I wish I had the 200r4 gearing when I had the pumpkin stuffed with 4.10's on my 27" tires.

peace
Hog
Old 02-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Launching!

Default Technology is great,but.................

I think your project is great. Plenty of people on here think I'm not very bright also. Because I took a 2006 GMC and deleted the EFI and computer. I have a 6.0 stoked to 410 and has a Pro Systems 850 on it. Am working on getting it back in the truck now. More power to you for wanting to go carbed. You'll do just fine and it will run as hard and as fast as any EFI system. Get your suspension right and it will hook up and afterward get you home. Just like their trucks. I will have 250 shot of nitrous also. Again nice truck and project.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Launching!

thanks!
Old 03-06-2011, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am one of the guys that like carbs better than efi. I do however understand how you pretty much have to run efi these days especially if you are running forced induction. I have had carbs on all of my vehicles, and have never had one single problem. I used to have a 1050 dominator on my 434 SBC, and it ran perfect. It had a 260/268 cam on a 106 with 12.6:1 compression, and it idled better than my truck with a 224/230 on a 114. My old engine in my Chevelle would spank this efi engine silly, even with all the work I have done to it. It started right up, idled perfectly, and made awesome power. My truck is the first thing I have messed with that has efi, and I absolutely hate it. I truly wish I would have never built it. I have had a guy try and tune it probably 5 times, and it never ends up right. I have tried messing with it myself for hours on end, and have never gotten it right (I admit I don't know much at all about tuning efi, but the other guy is a very experienced tuner). When you start it up, it cranks forever before it fires. If you start it when it is hot, it revs up to 3000 rpms for about 5 seconds before there is even any oil pressure. I firmly believe this is why you hear of so many efi engines spinning cam bearings, I have never heard of an old carb engine spinning a cam bearing. I have seen my truck hit 16:1 AFR when under boost. I feel it is just a matter of time before I burn my pistons out and have to get another engine. I am going to try this tuner one last time before I try another, but I seriously have no hope in this engine running good. I know I am picky, but I just want it to start ok, cruise at about 14.7:1 AFR, and be at 12.5:1 AFR under boost. It seems impossible to me though.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

any updates on the truck build? looking great so far.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:55 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys.

Tried to prime the motor Tuesday with no luck, so out came the motor to look for the cause. Took it apart Tuesday night and couldn't find a thing...so back in it went on Wednesday. Still wouldn't prime, so we decided to put fuel and spark to it anyway and if nothing after a few seconds...shut it down. Oil pressure came right up tho. :yay:

still haven't dialed it in yet....but nice thing about the MSD and coil pack system is it fired right up. Once I dial in the carb, it should start right up with just a bump of the starter...like my old 383 did.

http://www.lsxtrucks.com/gallery/alb...s/MVI_2000.avi

http://www.lsxtrucks.com/gallery/alb...s/MVI_1999.avi

Last edited by TXoldskool; 03-05-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the way you can bump the starter on a carb'd engine, and have it fire right up. Plus you can tell an EFI idle vs a carb idle a mile away.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:34 PM
Launching!

well....I thought I'd post an update for those that where wondering....

most of the front sheet metal on

circuit boss for new circuits

vacuum storage canister...brakes will throw you threw the windshield.

pcv valve alternative-

stainless coolant recovery-

lightweight insulation-

new carpet

interior coming together-

Last edited by TXoldskool; 03-05-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Launching!

more...

wilwood adj. prop. valve is still there but the line lock got pulled for issues:

radiator had an extra port so in went the steam line -

my hood waiting...

front end installed

my shifter -

bed going on

bed installed-

front height-

Last edited by TXoldskool; 03-05-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Quick Reply: carb'd gen IV LY6 6.0L w/GMPP LSX/LS3 dual plane intake