Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

duramax fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oo, I thought there was one user the truck. The new one I have (had it from my 03 truck, it's the same right?) looks completely different than what's on there now
Old 05-02-2013, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

so i changed out the fuel filter... and it definitely didnt fix the issue, possibly even made it worse! both o0rings on the old filter looked perfectly fine, so i doubt that was ever an issue. and its possible that i pinched the new o-ring, so i guess ill double check that when i get a chance...
Old 05-02-2013, 02:18 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you lubricate the o rings with diesel fuel before install .
Make sure your bleeder screw is tight but not stripped .

As for the fuel gauge when I filled mine up while key was on it would take for ever to register , just turn off truck then refire and it would read fine , so maybe you do have a sending unit issue .

Every diesel truck should have a lift pump.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If you have access to a scanner you may go fill it up from e then scan it to see what the pcm and IPC are displaying as actual fuel level. It could have a bad instrument I've had to change a few on these trucks for various gauges that go wacko or just depart life on this planet period.

I'd drop the tank to inspect the sending unit as a possible cause for your weird start die/ no start. The orings in the fuel lines seal to the sender could be sucking air causing problems also. I've had good luck using any normal grease to put on the sender nipples prior to slipping them back on cure that problem.

Last but not least shes not a spring chicken the internal lift pump in the injection pump may be on the way out causing all of the above but the dying on a angle say's fuel level/air problem. Does it do it any more or less if the tank is full of fuel.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Make sure you lubricate the o rings with diesel fuel before install .
Make sure your bleeder screw is tight but not stripped .

As for the fuel gauge when I filled mine up while key was on it would take for ever to register , just turn off truck then refire and it would read fine , so maybe you do have a sending unit issue .

Every diesel truck should have a lift pump.
i did lubricate the o0ring, but i need to double check that i didnt pinch it, it was a pain in the *** to get it to sit in the groove properly! and the bleeder screw should be perfectly fine, it is tight. ive filled it up every which way and it doesnt seem to make a difference...

youre saying that it should have one fromthe factory or that i should install one?

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
If you have access to a scanner you may go fill it up from e then scan it to see what the pcm and IPC are displaying as actual fuel level. It could have a bad instrument I've had to change a few on these trucks for various gauges that go wacko or just depart life on this planet period.

I'd drop the tank to inspect the sending unit as a possible cause for your weird start die/ no start. The orings in the fuel lines seal to the sender could be sucking air causing problems also. I've had good luck using any normal grease to put on the sender nipples prior to slipping them back on cure that problem.

Last but not least shes not a spring chicken the internal lift pump in the injection pump may be on the way out causing all of the above but the dying on a angle say's fuel level/air problem. Does it do it any more or less if the tank is full of fuel.
i can try to scan it soon to maker sure its the sending unit and not the gauge...

ive thought about dropping the tank, just havent had time! and ill make sure to lub the o rings and seals properly when re-installing

ive been leaning more and more towards the injection pump, or a part of it anyways... now the issue has progressed (granted, after i changed the filter so maybe thats it) to where sometimes it just feels like the truck isnt getting any fuel at all and i scanned the codes last night and there was a low rail pressure code...?
Old 05-03-2013, 01:10 PM
TECH Veteran

pumps dying or being starved for fuel low rail pressure code is nail in the coffin. Usually a pump as soon as that one shows up.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess dropping the tank and checking all that put should be the first atelier to rule that put then go to a new pump?
Old 05-04-2013, 01:23 AM
TECH Veteran

I would scan first to see if actual fuel level pcm sees is what gauge is displaying. Then drop tank and plan on a sender if the above doesnt match. If trucks full pcm should show 97-100percent fuel level. If it matchs from actual amt in tank to amt on pcm ip clusters bad. If it differs greatly from amt in tank to per entage displayed on pcm senders bad
When you pull tank there is a sock on the bottom of the sender see if its cfull of dirt grit etc. I usually chunk them anyway when they plug up they suck together causing fuel starvation. Pinch a straw while drinking a coke. Inj pump works the same way. Depending on outcome plan on a pump
Old 05-05-2013, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Was this issue ever resolved?

Its way common for the filter head O rings to leak, a rebuild kit can be bought for under 25$. Doesn't sound like a stepper motor problem to me
Old 05-06-2013, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nope, I was out of town all weekend so dost get to look in to it any more... My dad used the truck though and it seems like the issue has gotten way worse...

Are you talking about the o-rings on the filter it's self or something else?

Quick Reply: duramax fuel issue