Western CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, HI, AK

Let me borrow your wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let me borrow your wheels.

Yes, kind of an odd request.

I'm trying hunt down a vibration I've been getting between 60-70 MPH ever since I had the truck. Sometimes the freeway surface can make it better or worse. Tons of new parts on the truck. I want to rule out the rims/tires for good by swapping wheels with someone, taking it up on the freeway and see what happens, then swapping them right back. Right now I have stock 16" rims with Michelins that have about 10k miles on them.

I suppose anything would be great as long as it's 6 bolt, 17" or larger, and you're happy with your truck's freeway manners. (Some SS rims would be nice to borrow,)

I'm more than willing to reimburse you for your time with a 12 pack of your favorite beer (if you drink), and some gas money or whatever we figure out is fair.

I live in the Chino area and I have the right tools. Let me know.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Teching In

You can borrow mine.....the tires are pretty bad, but driveable. Am right next to you, PM your number if you like. I can take my truck over this weekend if you want.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you have them balanced when you got the tires? Also if you go to a local tire shop it's only about $8 a rim to have them balanced. Also you could prob get free life time balancing
Old 11-03-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Safado, I will PM you my number.

Psycho1 - I've tried numerous things. Probably the only things I haven't touched are the rear axle and the engine/transmission. Front suspension is basically all new. I have lifetime balancing with America's Tire. This particular set has been balanced 3 times. It's also done it with the previous tires, so I just want to try a different rim/tire combo. If the vibration/shaking goes away then that tells me something is weird with the rims.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about tranny mount ? or maybe your driveshaft is out of balance ? my buddys truck had the same problem took his driveshaft to get rebalance and problem was fixed ...
Old 11-03-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tranny mount is new (did it since the rear seal was leaking and mad it soft)

Driveshaft got rebalanced, new u-joints and center bearing. It wasn't too bad, but they did add small weights in a couple spots.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

man i know this is a long shot but from 50-60 mph my truck has a slite vibration and ive come to the conclusion its from the deep rummble coming from my exhaust
Old 11-03-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, my internals are stock (for now), and the Corsa is super quiet cruising.

It's actually more a shaking than a vibration. It's speed and surface sensitive so it has to be something weird in the suspension geometry that no one has caught yet or something that spins. As far as things that spin, I'm running out of things to check.

I'm determined to figure out... who knows maybe the frame got tweaked in an accident or something.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is ur truck dropped ?
Old 11-03-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope. Not dropped or raised. All my mods are in my sig. Ball joints are new, wheel bearings are new, energy suspension end links and sway bushings. It drives pretty good on the street.

Quick Reply: Let me borrow your wheels.