WEAPONS What? Trucks and weapons don't go together?

Your gun "to-do" list for 2012

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For 2012, more sporting clays and pistol range. Maybe pick up a .38 or .357 to stay in the truck.

What do y'all keep in your truck, assuming you aren't CCL.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't keep anything in my truck, too afraid of it getting stolen along with the truck.

But if Texas would pass something so that I could at least leave one in my vehicle on campus I would put a lock box and a gun in there, or purchase a very cheap 12 gauge or small caliber handgun to toss in it.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by texasglock23
I don't keep anything in my truck, too afraid of it getting stolen along with the truck.

But if Texas would pass something so that I could at least leave one in my vehicle on campus I would put a lock box and a gun in there, or purchase a very cheap 12 gauge or small caliber handgun to toss in it.
You can have a weapon in your vehicle on campus. It may or may not be against your schools rules, but I don't think there is anything they can do legally. I've looked it up quite a few times and it states that parking lots on college campuses are fair game.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
For 2012, more sporting clays and pistol range. Maybe pick up a .38 or .357 to stay in the truck.

See below

About the only time I keep another gun in the truck is when Im going hunting, other than that Im afraid it will grow legs and walk off.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Wearin' da big hat

PC §46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapons listed in Section 46.05(a):
(1) on the physical premises of a school or education institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;

Premises are defined under PC §46.035 subsection (f):

(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But isn't it their right to post a sign, even if it is not a 30.06, and state no firearms allowed?
Old 01-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Wearin' da big hat

But isn't it their right to post a sign, even if it is not a 30.06, and state no firearms allowed?
Not if its a public institution. They may have rules against it but it wouldn't be illegal.

Btw I am in no way a legal expert. I very well may be wrong but I know people who conceal carry and disarm in parking lot before class and rearm after class.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:10 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71

We didn't go target shooting at all last summer. That's gonna change this year. Planning on a caribou hunt, a duck hunt, and plenty of target practice.

I carry a S&W 44 mag in the truck, and Tonya carries my S&W 357 mag in the Yukon. We carry when we go hiking or camping. Mostly for bears.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anybody ever been in a high stress situation?
Ive been in two and there is no time to think nor any time to hesitate. Adrenaline is flowing and your thoughts are gone, everything you had planned out in your head is gone and all those things you thought you would do are no where to be found

The absolute very first thing you have to think about is are you actually ready to carry that responsibility to actually use your weapon to protect your self even if it means taking a life? Its not something everybody can do.

Then no matter what your using, you better get very fimilar with it, learn everything about it and memorize it like the scars on your hands.

Get ready to start shooting. 10-15 yds is a good distance to practice. If you can keep all your hits anywhere on that plate then thats good. Then move in to 5 yds and get a good muscle memory, start with using your sights for center hits. Then get use to very fast reflexive shooting using muscle memory. Its not something your gonna learn in one day or afternoon at the range. It takes time and alot of practice!

I always have dummy loads mixed in with my practice ammo. Dont look at your mags or cylinders when you load them. Now practice jam and malfunction clearing.

It is really nice knowing how to clear a problem with muscle memory and not having to think.

Find some range local that does competition shooting. Uspsa, ipsc, or icore. Any good bunch of shooting folks will take you under their wings and guide you.
Even if you can only make it to a match every few months, its a nice learning experience.
Getting to run and gun gives you a good chance to learn what to do when adrenline starts pumping cause that plan you just come up with after watching another shooter run the course goes bye bye when the buzzer goes off.

Caliber doesnt matter much if you cant shoot a 45 worth a flip but are very accurate with a 380. Thats where shot placement comes in into play.
Using LEOs as an example about in a caliber debate isnt good. Majority of LEOs are absolutely pathetic at shootin to any kinda degree of accuracly.
Ive seen a local swat team get embarassed by a 12yr old girl using a factory 1911 45 single stack at a match. They couldnt hit the human size silhouttes at 25yds with their fancy tricked out glocks. And this girl was cleaning the targets with all 'A' hits in very fast time.

With all that jibberish being said i love my XD SC .40. I carry it everyday in a crossbreed holster at 4 Oclock. I wear everything from button ups, to polo shirts, to regular ole tshirts. It hides good. I can draw and have the sights lined up when i open my eyes. Muscle memory and your natural point of aim comes into play. Glocks point high for me and SW MP points low. 1911s and XDs point natural for me.

Ive carried a Ruger LCP 380 and hated it, carried it in a crossbreed, it wore good and hide very well but It wasnt comfortable to shoot and ammo was silly expensive when i had it. So i sold it and got the Ruger LCR 38spl And a crossbreed holster. It was better than the LCP but the hogue grip stuck to my shirts and was constantly checking to see if my shirt had stuck behind it and printing so i always went back to carrying my XDSC 40.
Traded the LCR for a 1911 and havent looked back yet. The 1911 fits in my Xd crossbreed holster.

My 2012 plans are more powder, bullet, primers, and build more guns.
I shot 320rds of 308, 250rds 223, 75rds 270, 200rds 45, 100rds 40 in 2 days. My shoulder and collar bone is bruised pretty good. But i had a ton of fun and reloaded all week to do it all over again this next weekend.

Im building a 24" AR in 5.56 for 600yd F-Class and hipower service rifle matchs. Its gonna closely resemble the MK12 DMR. But with a very long handguard to mount iron sights so i can legally shoot in the 200yd HP match. Hoping i can get the 80gr Amax to group good for F-Class and the 52gr NCC for 200 yd HP match.

Besides that, im saving up to build a house

SHOOT WHATS COMFORTABLE FOR YOU
Old 01-23-2012, 01:24 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Has anybody ever been in a high stress situation?
Only one time ever. Things happen really fast.

Quick Reply: Your gun "to-do" list for 2012