WEAPONS What? Trucks and weapons don't go together?

Your gun "to-do" list for 2012

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But show me a 45 that is a true pocket carry...something is better than nothing, and I prefer to carry a pocket pistol when it is really hot out or when I gain too much weight and no longer can carry IWB.

And not everyone carries a 45, so compare the .380 to 9mm, yes, it is different, but not by enough to convince me that it won't do the job. Not gonna argue on calibers, just stating my opinion, just like in the knife thread. Ballistics done on a good HP in .380 are good enough. People die from .22, shot placement is everything, not caliber.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My list

1. Get my CHL
2. Get a carry gun (my xd40sc is a little big for me to carry comfortably I think)
3. Get a 1911 (probably a Rock Island because it's something I can afford)
4. Some sort of optic for my AR15 (Eotech or Aimpoint)
5. Figure out why my AK74 is having problems with cartridges sticking in the chamber
6. Anything else I can afford lol
Old 01-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wear jeans that fit so pocket carry isnt an option for me. There are plenty of 45 options that are very small a light. Hell the new XDs is damn there the same size as the ruger LC9 that everyone loves to pocket carry. It is heavier but again I dont pocket carry. There are plenty of accounts where a LEO unloaded multiple rounds of 9mm into a person and they kept coming, 380 is an even more anemic round. No thanks. Just personal preference. Something is most definitely better than nothing, but if youre going to carry it might as well pack some real punch IMO. Keep your *** on the treadmill and you wont have to worry about not being able to carry IWB.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I wear jeans that fit so pocket carry isnt an option for me. There are plenty of 45 options that are very small a light. Hell the new XDs is damn there the same size as the ruger LC9 that everyone loves to pocket carry. It is heavier but again I dont pocket carry. There are plenty of accounts where a LEO unloaded multiple rounds of 9mm into a person and they kept coming, 380 is an even more anemic round. No thanks. Just personal preference. Something is most definitely better than nothing, but if youre going to carry it might as well pack some real punch IMO. Keep your *** on the treadmill and you wont have to worry about not being able to carry IWB.
My only reservation with IWB carry is my clothing style. I wear T-shirts and Jeans basically 365. Many of them are short shirts, short enough that if I bend over enough you'd easily be able to see I was carrying. I'll be out of college soon so wearing nicer clothes will probably help a lot in that department though. I've started to buy a little larger waist jeans in preparation for IWB carry as well.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm. Gun wise this year.... . I don't know. Depends on what walks out in the front door.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:55 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Originally Posted by texasglock23
But show me a 45 that is a true pocket carry...something is better than nothing, and I prefer to carry a pocket pistol when it is really hot out or when I gain too much weight and no longer can carry IWB.

And not everyone carries a 45, so compare the .380 to 9mm, yes, it is different, but not by enough to convince me that it won't do the job. Not gonna argue on calibers, just stating my opinion, just like in the knife thread. Ballistics done on a good HP in .380 are good enough. People die from .22, shot placement is everything, not caliber.
I agree with this.

Not trying to turn the thread into a caliber war either.

But the uninformed people here that are novice beginner carriers ( LOL), Need to decide for themselves what " Feels" comfortble for them, then shoot, shoot , shoot the hell out of that weapon and get that comfortable feeling, thats most important, not the size of the gun.

Also there are some compact 3.5'' ( IIRC) 45. 1911 models that are easier to conceal.

When i first got my CC , i had bought a S&W 1911 stainless .45, I saw it and fell in love with it, took my class with it, and im very accurate with it. This bieng said its a terrible carry gun! Too big to hide comfortably, but not bad enough to put in a coat pocket or your truck console. I also keep a ruger snub nose speed 6 .357 revolver in my truck. Good enough for close range protection.

Im posting this in mind again for the novice/person looking for CC options.

I do like the compact .380 for CC and the compact .40 's are a great option also .

Oh and my CC instuctor wears a fanny pack to carry his gun, he's a bigger guy and it gives him instant access to his protection .

Now back OT! I forgot i'm also going to be purchasing a Kimber .45 1911, man they are georgous handguns that shoot nice! I like the black and polished model, gotta find a pic......
Old 01-22-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dont you get all informative on my when I am trying to follow Shameless on TV!
Old 01-22-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are cases where .40 didn't work, as many departments mainly use this round. Same with .45, people have been shot in the head with multiple calibers, shotguns etc...that **** is too rare to try to use as an argument, and many of those are people under the influence of heavy narcotics!

New xd the same size as LC9? I guess I will need to look into that, haven't seen that!
Old 01-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

I'm an engineer by trade so I have a hard time dismissing physics in regards to caliber. I think bullet design is more important than caliber but after that kinetic energy is very close. 1911 frames in general very heavy, even being a single stack configuration. Obviously comfort is the most important that's why its best to shoot many different guns and see what comfortable. The XD line feels comfortable to me, we will see how the xds feels since it will be narrower.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Wearin' da big hat

I'm an engineer by trade so I have a hard time dismissing physics in regards to caliber. I think bullet design is more important than caliber but after that kinetic energy is very close. 1911 frames in general very heavy, even being a single stack configuration. Obviously comfort is the most important that's why its best to shoot many different guns and see what comfortable. The XD line feels comfortable to me, we will see how the xds feels since it will be narrower.
As long as it feels better than the LC9 I'll be happy. I was hoping to love that gun but after holding it I don't think I can bring myself to buy it. Did not like how the grip felt at all.

Quick Reply: Your gun "to-do" list for 2012