Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

05 Ford F-150 5.4 liter tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Ford F-150 5.4 liter tuning

My buddy has a 05 F-150 and was wondering if a handheld programmer would void his warrenty. Also will it show up if he puts it in and then takes it out if he has to take it in for warrenty work.

Also which programmer would be best. He tows small trailers and boats from time to time.

Looking for some performance but also gas mileage.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

A programmer won't void the warranty, I'd check out sctflash.com. I believe they are the makers of the Xcal 2 and can put like 3 custom tunes in the handheld(like towing, performance, economy) and you can switch to the appropriate tune when needed. I'm pretty sure this is the best tuning out there for a Ford at the moment..
Old 01-08-2006, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can Ford scan and see if it was installed in the computer at all. Or when its pulled out does it look untouched to a scanner?
Old 01-08-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure if they can tell if it was on there or not. I think the only way they can void the warranty is if a problem comes up and they can prove that the programmer caused the problem, they can't void it just for seeing it on there.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:29 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

as for what tables have been adjusted they would have to have reprogramming software on it. they can watch readings but do not have the abilities to see tables and adjust. unless they sprung for the money for the software to do so.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default Sc reply

This is a law document that helps dealing with the complaint of using after market add-ons to warrentyed vehicles, have a problem with the dealer.

***The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))****
This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name... (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

When you go back for service and you remove the programming from the vehicle the dealer can not see that you have programmed the vehicle unless you tell them you did. The only code that a dealer can see that could lead them to believe that you did would be DTC (diagnostic trouble code) is P0603.
*Internal control Mod KAM (Keep Alive Memeory) error. This is the same code that comes across when you remove the battery terminals and the computer resets.
So I hope this will help guys, feel free to drop me a email or give me a call if you have any questions feel free to drop me a line.
non-sponsor
non-sponsor contact
RON @ non-sponsor

Last edited by JSmith; 02-13-2006 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Removed non-sponsor contact info.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

i am a tech at a ford dealership. i personally have never worked on a gas motor that was programmed but i have worked on a few deisels that have. with me and most of our techs its kinda a dont ask dont tell kinda thing. the fact is most people who come in with engine problems is the ones with the deisels with the programmers, and most of the time thay have a banks or superchips sticker on the truck. but we make money off of it anyways so why would we turn ya down. as far as ford im sure they wouldnt support putting a programmer in your truck, but just so ya know, they now offer a superships programmer along with a cold air intake and exhaust for their trucks with teh ford motorsports packages, and this includes a full warranty. when it comes to using the computer, (WDS) is what we use and ONE04FX4was right we cant adjust with our soft ware but we can go back and see what was adjusted and what certain readings where at a certain time.