Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 01:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle response

okay guys under the e38 files, in engine>airflow>electronic throttle>desired throttle area there are several tables labeled map a through d.. inside there are tables which has tps percentage on the x axis and an unknown on the y axis.. can this be adjusted by lets say 15% to increase throttle response? I tuned a 08 silverado 5.3 and i couldn't get the truck to respond to my throttle, there was a lag time from the instant i depressed the throttle to the rpm increase. I disabled all the torque management, maxed out area rate limits and ETC limits tip in management ETC. everything you can think of, the last thing I have not touched is this table. Has anyone modified it? I have seen some guy named Chuck Cow?? that has messed with these tables to increase throttle response.. but there is a warning that says modifying such tables could fry the pcm..any help?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by subeone
okay guys under the e38 files, in engine>airflow>electronic throttle>desired throttle area there are several tables labeled map a through d.. inside there are tables which has tps percentage on the x axis and an unknown on the y axis.. can this be adjusted by lets say 15% to increase throttle response? I tuned a 08 silverado 5.3 and i couldn't get the truck to respond to my throttle, there was a lag time from the instant i depressed the throttle to the rpm increase. I disabled all the torque management, maxed out area rate limits and ETC limits tip in management ETC. everything you can think of, the last thing I have not touched is this table. Has anyone modified it? I have seen some guy named Chuck Cow?? that has messed with these tables to increase throttle response.. but there is a warning that says modifying such tables could fry the pcm..any help?

Yes the tables can be adjusted and definitely make a difference and yes modifying these tables can turn the PCM into a fancy looking paper weight in a hurry, guys have done it!

I have been swamped with tuning work and other projects lately so I haven't had a chance to work on it but I have been planning donating a few spare PCM's in the name of science and finding the fine line between making the adjustments to these tables and not bricking the PCM. If I have some time this week I'll throw a PCM on my bench top harness and start playing with this then I'll just see if I get a "test vehicle" from a local tuning customer of mine.

Going to see where I get with these on my 03 as well.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

At the end of the day though honestly other than improved throttle response it's not going to be some major improvement overall in performance comparable to say going with a different cam, heads etc....

I've seen a lot of the claims by that Chuck Cow and his customers about the throttle response and overall difference in performance. How much of that is true overall performance gains and how much is more of an illusion because of how much snappier the throttle response is I don't know.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

finally someone replies and do you have any proven settings? or a screenshot of the settings you have used? i dont care if it "feels" faster without it being faster, i just want the throttle to respond much faster even if the truck itself is not faster, i want the pedal to be sensitive

I wanted to experiment but i dont have a nnbs silverado and dont want to mess up any customers' pcm in the process haha.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

finally someone replies and do you have any proven settings? or a screenshot of the settings you have used? i dont care if it "feels" faster without it being faster, i just want the throttle to respond much faster even if the truck itself is not faster, i want the pedal to be sensitive

I wanted to experiment but i dont have a nnbs silverado and dont want to mess up any customers' pcm in the process haha.

No sir I do not have any settings to share if I did I would, like I said haven't really messed with it at all yet. Just been very busy and it hasn't been too high on the priority list for me. I will dive into that soon hopefully though and see what I come up with.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 03klugss
No sir I do not have any settings to share if I did I would, like I said haven't really messed with it at all yet. Just been very busy and it hasn't been too high on the priority list for me. I will dive into that soon hopefully though and see what I come up with.
awesome, i might jump the gun as well i will report back with some answers
Old 07-31-2013, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

awesome, i might jump the gun as well i will report back with some answers

Proceed with extreme caution! Those warnings they put in the description of those tables are there for a reason. Or at least I hope you've got a couple spare PCMs lying around that you don't care about.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

success, increased lower portions of the table by 5% and no REP, throttle blade is much more sensitive and responsive as a point of reference do not allow the last value to surpass the tps column value!
Old 08-16-2013, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

success, increased lower portions of the table by 5% and no REP, throttle blade is much more sensitive and responsive as a point of reference do not allow the last value to surpass the tps column value!
NICE!!! I have been wanting to mess with this for awhile but been so darn busy just haven't. Just went at it with 5% increase, no more than that?
Old 08-16-2013, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 03klugss
NICE!!! I have been wanting to mess with this for awhile but been so darn busy just haven't. Just went at it with 5% increase, no more than that?

yep just went and selected the lower portions before 50% and multiplied it by 1.05 and copied the map to all the other tables, a b c d, etc. and made sure the lower most value does not surpass the tps column, so if the tps column is 10 then the last value would have to be 9 or at max 10

hopefully it wasnt a fluke and is the same for all controllers, this was done on an 08 nnbs 5.3 !