Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Smoke at startup

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by midevil1
What color is the Smoke?
Sort of a white gray, blue mix.
Have you pulled the TB and looked into the intake? I have seen oil puddle and then when it gets to a certain point get sucked into the heads in large amounts. Causing smoke on initial start up.
I have not pulled the throttle body. Is this difficult to do? Do I need gaskets or something to get it back on?
Old 11-15-2011, 02:45 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

You dont need to pull it off completely, turn the key to run but with the engine off and put a brick or something on the gas pedal (opens the throttle blade) and wipe a rag or paper towel on the inside of the intake.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Atomic
You dont need to pull it off completely, turn the key to run but with the engine off and put a brick or something on the gas pedal (opens the throttle blade) and wipe a rag or paper towel on the inside of the intake.
Went out to follow your instructions, and it started raining! I will check this out as soon as it stops.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
Went out to follow your instructions, and it started raining! I will check this out as soon as it stops.
You in the Houston Area? It was pouring here. FINALLY!

You won't need a new gasket when you do take it off. Too get

it clean you will have to remove it, but to check for access oil you can do as Atomic instructed.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=Junkyard Dog;4811886]Sort of a white gray, blue mix.

That would be OIL.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Teching In

my truck has 120K miles.. i also have no smoke except at start up.. and what is more crazy is it isnt at every start up... hot or cold doent make difference either..
Old 11-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Teching In

i have electronic throttle....
Old 11-15-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by camperhead
i have electronic throttle....
DBW or DBC will not make a difference. High mileage engine's and the use of low viscosity oil are usually the cause of the smoking on startup. I run atleast 10w40 in my HD. 15w40 in the summer.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Staging Lane

I am running 10W-30 Valvoline, and have since new. Remember, though, this problem showed up last year and went away for 8-9 months - did not use a drop of oil or smoke at all, then returned, which leads me to believe it is not rings or valve guides or seals - those do not just fix themselves for no reason.

That would be OIL.
Oh, no doubt! Lots of black soot in the tailpipe, too. Like I said, a few weeks ago it was not using a drop of oil, and now it is guzzling oil like a sailor after pay day! I was just answering an earlier question.

Originally Posted by Atomic
And it is still raining! No rain for three weeks, and then somebody asks me to do something outside, and it will not stop. I need a garage. Is the purpose of this check to see if it is sucking oil up through the PCV (actually, orifice, no "valve," it's a 2005).

Also, valve seals - is there a test for this? I have changed valve seals on an older Pontiac before - it was easy since I had to pull the heads for something else, and I bought this awesome but too expensive tool for valve spring compressing when the head is off the vehicle, but changing them on the vehicle sounds like a pain, and I would like to avoid it if possible. I do not know how to check the valve seals.

Last edited by Junkyard Dog; 11-16-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
2005 GMC Yukon with 4.8

. . . I noted also that there appears to be a tube that goes from the passenger side valve cover to right behind the throttle body at the front of the intake manifold. Couldn't the engine be sucking oil from there just as easily as from the PCV (or orifice)?
From my first post. What keeps the engine from sucking oil up this other tube? If it has a screen or filter or baffle, could this passenger side valve cover becoming clogged cause the engine to suck oil up through the PCV? The purpose of this side is to let in fresh air, correct? If it is clogged, then there is a really high vacuum situation at the PCV/orifice on the driver's side.

Why would the PCV issue happen only at start up? It seems to me that it should smoke anytime there is a high vacuum situation. This is very confusing.

Quick Reply: Smoke at startup