Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Which Scanner to buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Scanner to buy

I have been out of the Auto Repair business for about 10 years now and my Snap on Scanners last update was 2001. I need to replace it but since I don't do it for a living any more I don't need the greatest or most expensive. Just need to see codes, data, and clear codes on the engine side and maybe trans and brakes also. Be able to work on newer vehicles as I own a 2012, 2006 and will probably have a new one soon. The scanner no longer works on anything over 2006 even in generic mode so its time for the trash can. What is a cheap hand held unit that is fairly cheap but will do the job and not **** me off while using it. Not wanting to spend more than a couple of hundred dollars if possible. LOL Thanks
Old 09-05-2015, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

You won't get much for a couple hundred. Look into a microscan3. What Snapon scanner do you currently have? I'm a Snapon dealer if you have any questions.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You can get a Tech 2 for $275 with free shipping. Will work on GM 91-13.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:02 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You should consider HPTuners or EFI Live. Both have very good 2 way scanners.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
You should consider HPTuners or EFI Live. Both have very good 2 way scanners.
The problem with those (and I have HP Tuners) is they only do ECMs and TCMs. If you need to communicate with the other vehicle modules like BCMs, ABS, etc, they are useless. Should be obvious the Tech 2s I was referring to are Chinese clones but are reported to work reasonably well. I probably wouldn't use one for programming though.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

You know, The new Snap On scanners work quite well Even though they are a large chunk of cash. You can always get a nice used one to save a few bucks.

For a few hundred your not going to get much more than a generic scanner. This day in age you need something with Bi-directional controls and the ability to graph. If you look into the used market for snap on, try and find something with at Least 14.4 software coverage.

They added alot of coverage around 10.4 but some new features, bug fixes, and car lines were added after that. I know 14.4 is a fairly stable update and most all functions work correctly. Snap on also has website were you can discus the tools and software coverage along with reporting issues you may have or features you would like to see added. There are some very competent users on there that can teach you new things to get the most out of your tool as well as help you when you're not sure if it's you or the scan tool.

If you don't go back to a Snap On scanner, You might want to look into Auto Enginuity. They have a computer based Scan tool that also offers Manufacturer specific coverage.

You can spend a few hundred now and then as you need, you can buy enhancements.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:27 PM
Teching In

The Old and I do mean old Scanner I have is a MT2500 They have been dead for years but just used on my own vehicles and family vehicles now. Don't plan on spending a lot of cash on a scanner that I will barely use. Just really need it for the Data and codes for ECM/ABS and maybe body control. If I ever get my garage going I wont mind spending the cash. Was looking at Autel and OTC. The reviews on the OTC Pretty much cut that one out. The Autel might work for what I am looking for.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Stay away from Autel. It's reverse engineered garbage.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:44 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My OTC Genesys has done well for me since 2011. But it was quite a bit more than the price range you mentioned in your first post.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

X2 on the used newer snap-on, should be able pickup slightly older model for rather inexpensive..... Ive seen some on craigslist and ebay with few updates back for somewhat cheap. Tech 2 , being gm specific, would make it hard if family member or friend drives a ford or honda or whatever.....

Quick Reply: Which Scanner to buy