Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Which Scanner to buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 10:18 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Not many scanners will get you you into the ABS or work on all the different CAN systems out these days.

As mentioned the Autel is reverse engineered. Their being Sued by FORD for this very thing. They even started unloading them through Harbor freight right after that.

If all you want is just a code reader. Then I would go with something like the Autoenginuity were you can add enhanced coverage if you need it or something like the micro scan 3 as mentioned before.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Too bad its not a chrysler you could just hack it from your living room through the radio..... Sadly thats a recall theyve had come up in last few months along with the steering crap! Off topic i know, but....

Hell even the high end snap-on scanners wont get into certain modules, and there are some that the snapon you have to dig for the pid.... Took snap-on rep 2 hours to find out that the timing on an express van was buried in the anti theft module... There are some inexpensive code puller type deals that will show some engine data and will do abs and bcm, usually with no data on those though. I worked with guy for a while that had an app on his tablet that would pull codes on just about anything and showed quite a bit of data for most modules. Dont remember what the app was called or where he got the adaptor for it, but worked well for what it was(i know a lot of help on that, lol)
Old 09-07-2015, 11:31 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

torque app maybe??? I don't think that does body codes though.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Maybe..,he was pulling abs, airbags and bcm codes with it, was actually kind of impressed with it, consodering it was an app
Old 10-01-2015, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, I'm in the process of seeking out a new tool for professional use and I want to actually steer away from the Snap-on branded items. I prefer a cheap laptop with updateable software. (I teach high school autos and a smashed laptop is easy to replace compared to a $$$ Snap-on Modis)

Google J2534 scan tool. Lots of variety out there but everywhere manufacturer has a website where you can subscribe for a reasonable daily price.

OEM Subscription Prices - National Automotive Service Task Force

Here are two tool options I'm considering -

EASE Diagnostics - OBD2 Scan Tool and OBD2 Software for PC

https://www.autoenginuity.com/

And here are some FAQ's from Bosch on J2534 -

J2534 FAQs | Bosch Diagnostics

I've been dormant from the site for a while but I'm back now as I almost have my truck back together.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:33 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Stay away from Bosh unless you want a paper weight. They have dropped there own products and are now re-branding other peoples equipment at a slightly higher price.

Auto ingenuity seems like a decent laptop based software and you can buy updates or enhanced car lines as needed.

I have never used the Ease software so I am un familiar with it.

The problem you will run into with J2534 box and ruining OE software is that some car lines will not like others which will require partitions on the hard drive to keep them separate.

If you want to do J2534 Look into the Drew Tech products. They basically invented J2534 programming for the aftermarket.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm quite fond of Autel's MaxiSys Pro, albeit the price is a lot higher than most people want to spend. The 300' Bluetooth bidirectional programming interface (J2534) makes life really easy though. You could technically run it on any Android device, but I wouldn't want to be responsible for the programming changes necessary.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Autel is nothing but reverse engineered garbage. They have been sued by about every auto manufacturer. Buy Snap-on and don't look back.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
You can get a Tech 2 for $275 with free shipping. Will work on GM 91-13.
from where? Im asumming for that price its a chinese clone?
Old 10-02-2015, 08:45 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by fullboardmax
Autel is nothing but reverse engineered garbage. They have been sued by about every auto manufacturer. Buy Snap-on and don't look back.
X2 Have the times some of the features don't even work from what I under stand.

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
from where? Im asumming for that price its a chinese clone?
Rest assured, they are!

Quick Reply: Which Scanner to buy