Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Quick tune question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick tune question

So I just got hptuner and I have 3 ls motor vehicles. Two have been tuned by shops. One is bone stock. Two are 5.3 and one is 6.0. One 5.3 and the 6.0 have cams. I compared the two 5.3 tunes (stock 06 ff and 5.3 with btr 2 cam) and was just looking around and found the ve tables were both identical. I may not know anything but everything I have read points to the ve table is pretty important. They are both exactly the same. Now my 6.0 may have ve table tuned but I don't have two to compare. The 6.0 ve tops out at like 105 and both the 5.3 are like mid 90s. Did the tuner do a half *** job on my 5.3 tune?
Old 05-26-2017, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Seems like it.

Likely just MAF tuned it. Pretty typical of most tuners/dyno places if that's what it was.

6.0's in stock form have a higher end number in the VE's to begin with.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:32 PM
Launching!

the 5.3 was "dyno and street tuned". the 6.0 was tuned by a different tuner and was too large to fit on his dyno (85 4wd suburban) and the mud tires did not have the speed rating for dyno i was told. what makes me really worrie is the 5.3 has had p0101 maf code that comes and goes. i have installed a new maf and air filter and that did nothing at all. my main concern is my cammed 5.3 is running pretty rich. like -11 or so and is running so rich it does not even lope at idle like it should.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Post the tune here.

If it was running between 10-11 AFR at idle you'd have a lot bigger problems on your hands. I highly doubt it's running there, I bet stoich it's still set to 14.68 in the tune.

Idle rpm, idle airflow settings and similar things will determine how much lope it may have at idle.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:37 PM
Launching!

its commanded to 14.68. i will have to figure out how to post the tune. i also may have a log of a drive it it. maybe like 5 or so mins long. thanks for the help.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:42 PM
Launching!

may have got the tune. just a side not. Flacco is not who tuned it. that just what the wife named the truck.. she had no knowledge of who flacco is at that point.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
FLACCO PRO TUNE.hpt (248.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: hpl
flacco drive.hpl (475.7 KB, 29 views)
Old 05-26-2017, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jebus, look at that MAF curve. How could someone call that "okay", that's one of the worst I've seen in a while.

Pretty much needs the MAF curve and VE table completely redone.

If you lowered the idle like 125rpm, you'd notice more lope. 725 is pretty high and you won't notice much lope. 550-600 would be pretty good to really hear the cam.

You'll also want to change a few Power Enrich settings because he turned off all TM. If all TM is gone and you leave the enable torque value at 100%, it normally will never enter PE or it will take a very long time to bring fuel in. Set that lower to 50% and it also takes over 90% throttle to enter enrichment (it uses the cold pedal enable, set both the same). Me personally on a NA motor it would be something I want at 60-70% instead.

Timing looks safe. Gear ratio and tire size seem funky, must not be a stock truck anymore. Also add things like injector pulse width, o2 sensors and throttle position sensor to your logs, they can be pretty helpful.
The following users liked this post:
85LSburb (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 11:17 PM
Launching!

Thank you very much. I did lower the idle to 550 but it still does not lope. if i command the afr leaner it starts loping nicely. That is when i am using the scanning software.... I also think they killed my transmission. Not sure how but when i dropped the truck off at the shop it would bark 2nd nicely and when i left it would not even come close to barking the tires. i drove the truck home and was easy on it mostly and maybe one to two full throttle runs after it cooled down from the drive i no longer had any gear but 3rd. it also will cruise all by its self to like 35 mph with no throttle input. i have replaced the engine and trans since then but cam is identical. The motor that was in there was .030 over and this one is not. i figured with identical cams and only .030 over the tune would be pretty close but it seems maybe it never was.

i am also trying to figure out how to log more of those parameters. only had the program for two days so sorry for any stupidity.....