Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Quick dyno pull today

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick dyno pull today

I did 3 really quick dyno pulls today to get an idea of where i am with this thing now. I wasnt extatic about it, but it did pretty well. Brett and Jason (regular dyno techs) were not there today so i didnt feel 100% safe with my runs like i would have wanted to. It took longer to strap down than it did to make the three runs. I didnt get to try any tuning or anything while on the dyno, just 3 runs and I was done. I really wish I had not felt rushed like I did, but I will try to get back on there soon. I richened it up a little before I got there to be on the safe side thinking I would lean it out a little between each run, but that didnt really work out. I didnt have time to experiment with setting the Allison in 3rd with EFILive so I had to keep it in 4th (5 speed allison) with O/D off and I couldnt really start the pull before 2900rpms or it would kick down. Anyway, enough excuses, here are the results. I also pulled the old dyno from before I put the whipple on as a comparison. Its a Mustang Dyno, so I think there is some calculations to make for actual numbers but I dont really know how that works. Pretty impressive gains over stock for just a Whipple i think. The first one is what it did stock a year and a half ago, and the second one was from today. I know I could have got more out of it if i was tuning while making the pulls, I will give it a shot again later this year.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:55 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Hard to read but it looks like you picked up over 100hp and doubled your Tq. Sounds pretty good to me
Old 05-18-2007, 05:03 AM
TECH Addict

yea, picked up over 100RWHP and 200RWTQ...not to bad.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:19 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim how much is your race weight? 13.54 @ how many lbs? I was thinking at least 430HP. At least. Ofcourse, 430hp on a mustang is different i guess, I don't know much about that **** either.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:43 AM
TECH Addict

I am going to try and get an exact weight soon. I have always went by what comparible trucks were weighing (LT 2500HD Duramax's go about 7350lbs), plus the extras I have on my truck like tools, running bars, LT trim package crap, and S/C parts. That should put me around 7000lbs +/- a little. That should put my RWHP (like you said) just over 400. I dont know how much RWTQ comes into play, but at 510lbs it has to help some i guess. I dont know how to do the mustang -> dynojet conversion or if it even needs to be done. Not sure what the idea behind it is anyway. I know it has more in it like it is....not a whole lot more, but definately a little.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dyno Dan on corvetteforum

Tell ya what - we use a Dynojet inertia. Mustang HQ is just down the street from us. With the MD inertia and DJ inertia you will get the same #s(w/in the cars own range usually a couple only)
The biggest problem w/ comparing MD to DJ is most of the time the MDs are load contol and being compared to DJ inertia. If all info into the MD LC is not absolutely accurate(also like the DJ LC), you will get differences.
-One of a perf. shops little tricks, change the vehicle weight input, even by a hundred pounds will skew the numbers quite a bit to show the part they just sold you did something for HP.

I dont have a problem w/ either one, they are both industry leaders(I just happen to prefer DJ) The main problem is inept or corrupt operators. If you go on a Load Control Dyno, your car better be weighed, with the person in it doing the testing. Go over all the parameters with the operator to make sure you are getting what you paid for.

Here is the last word, the numbers w/ our Vette we got on our Dynojet inertia, were virtually identical to a MustangDyno load control when all the correct run parameters were put in. But on the other hand, with MD being only a couple miles from our homebase and Dynojet being 2500 miles away, and I picked the Dynojet- draw your own conclusion.
to everyone!
Apparently the conversion is just proper input.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:07 AM
TECH Addict

well, then i am sad to say those numbers I got are going to be off. I was the one driving on the dyno, and the guy doing the input....well it was his first time because Jason and Bret were not there. Between me and him we probably had about 20 minutes of dyno experience. So if my truck was input to heavy, then the numbers I got are going to be to low or to high? Even if I was only 6500lbs, the calculators show me still needing over 400RWHP to make into the 13's. Just more proof that dyno #'s are not the bible i guess.....the track is where the proof is.

Last edited by Whippled 496; 05-18-2007 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:25 AM

Yeah, first off dyno's are just a measure of performance...measure. So tuning changes and product installs can be compared correctly IMO. I am not saying dyno #'s are crap, cuz they're not, but where they shine are for comparisons. Like all of parish's dyno runs, 10psi vs 12psi, open header vs closed exhaust, ect ect ect. Like you 2 running fbody's dyno, it may not have been accurate due to proper settings and such, BUT if you were making tuning changes you could of come to educated conclusions of any differences in power percentages. Meaning 16* of spark vs 19* of spark, 19 gave you 25 more horses. 25 may not b correct, but it gave you more power.

I'd say it is higher, your weight is a HUGE factor for "to the wheels".