Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

programers

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhino79
I respectively disagree. A programming suite like hp or efi is going to offer much more tuning parameters to allow the user to get the most out of their ride. I have tuned over handhelds before, they are basic at best.
I have been told by a few tuners that the software is basically the same.
The stock tunes are generic, but when u have a custom tune downloaded on it they are able to adjust the same parameters as other software. I could be wrong i'm only human however i am very satisfied with my finished product. I couldn't imagine what else could be adjusted.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:39 AM
FormerVendor

I kinda laugh when people say canned tuners are not "custom"

you make it sound like we dont spend countless hours testing our tunes or sitting on the dyno.

I cant even count how many nights ive sat on our dyno tweaking out our new Duramax tunes.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BullyDogJason
I kinda laugh when people say canned tuners are not "custom"

you make it sound like we dont spend countless hours testing our tunes or sitting on the dyno.

I cant even count how many nights ive sat on our dyno tweaking out our new Duramax tunes.
Not saying that handheld tuner guys don't research or spend time on the dyno's. They are not as in depth as a full out efi live or HP tune.. It is nice that the new hand helds can be updated with tunes via the net. But when you account for how much a handheld cost to a actual efi or hp tune, the custom tune stands out imo.. Look at every fast truck on this site, others if you want.. 9 out of 10 are hp or efi live tuned, not a hand held.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:13 PM
FormerVendor

trust me my tuning ability with our tuners is just as in depth as efi live or hp.

But i fully agree that the fast trucks are all custom tuned, I look at it this way tho.. while custom tuning is great for guys wanting to go fast.. its not the right choice for everybody tho. alot of people just want to plug something in and go. when building our new dmax tunes, i found it amazing what difference a 200micro second pulse width change can do. its something that could burn down somebody's motor if they didnt know what they were doing.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:38 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see it now.... 9 second twin turbo charged truck, 300 shot nitrous, handheld tuner
Old 03-07-2011, 12:39 PM
FormerVendor

I made 630hp with my truck, 100shot of nitrous and our tuner.

granted now my tranny is burned up and i popped a head gasket.

neither of those parts were designed for that much power.. lol
Old 03-07-2011, 12:54 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by BullyDogJason
I made 630hp with my truck, 100shot of nitrous and our tuner.

granted now my tranny is burned up and i popped a head gasket.

neither of those parts were designed for that much power.. lol
In a diesel right? handheld programmers are great for diesels, but not for ls powered gas engines, especially when programs like efi and hp are available.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:00 PM
FormerVendor

Yes my 06 duramax

I guess basically what im trying to say is that i 100% agree that custom tuning is a great option for people.. but its not always the best option for everybody. I know i sure wouldn't trust my dad out there with his laptop and efi live trying to tune on his truck.. lol
Old 03-07-2011, 02:17 PM
9 Second Club

Now I can agree with that, there are some good ole boys that just want a lil more umph and there may be a market for a handheld there. However, for that same money or less actually, they could have a custom tune done that will do far more, and most tuners offer updates at little or no charge to the original purchaser.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:21 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BrutalSierra
I have been told by a few tuners that the software is basically the same.
The stock tunes are generic, but when u have a custom tune downloaded on it they are able to adjust the same parameters as other software. I could be wrong i'm only human however i am very satisfied with my finished product. I couldn't imagine what else could be adjusted.
With Efilive I have 626 parameters availabile, I would venture to say that the "custom tunes" from a handheld could offer this much support. They may hit the high points but they are not as in depth. I look at it like this, would you rather use a handheld, or use the type software that was likely used to create that handheld?

Quick Reply: programers