Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

O2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensors

I just completed my 5.3l swap. I bought hp tuner and removed vat and changed my injector size and deleted most of the emissions stuff and some other random things... I can post my changes if it will help any... My situation is I don't know anything about tuning and what to do to get my truck to run correct.... I am taking it to a real to tuner but I need to have as much in place as possible to get it tuned...
Do I need to install o2 sensor to get it tuned
What's need for a sd tune (right not I have the stock maf hooked up)
Should I get wide band if so what works best with hp tuner
The truck is procharged with ls6 cam and 8.1 marine injectors complete stock rebuild

Any help would work
Old 07-29-2013, 01:11 AM
Launching!

Wait did you delete all the o2 sensors of the front two or the back two after the cats?
Old 07-29-2013, 01:58 AM
Launching!

Are you asking if you go on a speed density tune you will not need to install back your 02 sensors?
Old 07-29-2013, 05:57 AM
Staging Lane

All sensors
Old 07-29-2013, 07:28 AM
12 Second Truck Club

You need your front two O2 sensors to adjust for fuel and you can get rid of your maf and just run an intake air temp sensor, hook it to the 2 wires in the maf plug that give the iat signal. That's how I have mine ran and it works great.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastcount03
You need your front two O2 sensors to adjust for fuel and you can get rid of your maf and just run an intake air temp sensor, hook it to the 2 wires in the maf plug that give the iat signal. That's how I have mine ran and it works great.
not trying to threadjack here but what is the difference between running an IAT vs. a MAF? is one better than another as far as performance goes? I have MAF on mine right now.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marineusmc4
not trying to threadjack here but what is the difference between running an IAT vs. a MAF? is one better than another as far as performance goes? I have MAF on mine right now.
IAT is Intake Air Temperature Sensor. MAF is Mass Air Flow Sensor.

The MAF has an IAT sensor built in on GM trucks. It's required to calculate the density of the air. The difference is in the fuel calculation schemes. Without the MAF you have Closed/Open Loop Speed Density fuel calculation, less accurate and more prone to error, however Speed Density performs better at high air flow (forced induction) than MAF as most MAF sensors are inaccurate at high volumes.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
IAT is Intake Air Temperature Sensor. MAF is Mass Air Flow Sensor.

The MAF has an IAT sensor built in on GM trucks. It's required to calculate the density of the air. The difference is in the fuel calculation schemes. Without the MAF you have Closed/Open Loop Speed Density fuel calculation, less accurate and more prone to error, however Speed Density performs better at high air flow (forced induction) than MAF as most MAF sensors are inaccurate at high volumes.
gotcha. so IAT only is mainly for forced induction and MAF only is for naturally aspirated? Im only asking cuz a few posts up someone mentioned removing the MAF and just running an IAT, which doesnt make sense if they are built into each other, unless they were talking about in the tune settings.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marineusmc4
gotcha. so IAT only is mainly for forced induction and MAF only is for naturally aspirated? Im only asking cuz a few posts up someone mentioned removing the MAF and just running an IAT, which doesnt make sense if they are built into each other, unless they were talking about in the tune settings.
The IAT is just a thermometer. If you use only two of the wires on the MAF you can use just the IAT inside of it. Not using a MAF means you're running Speed Density. Some people do use SD for naturally aspirated applications because it can simplify some aspects of tuning at the cost of efficiency.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

you can tune and have a perfectly running car without o2 sensors. BUT you definitely need the IAT sensor if you dont want the truck running like **** since when disconnected, the IAT pegs to an extreme, to -254 i believe. So to compensate for the fake "cold" temps, the controller or pcm, will shoot alot of fuel to compensate and thus make ur truck turn off half the time. So in short you dont need o2 sensors, but will make the truck more manageable in terms of fuel efficiency, but you do need the IAT/ MAF combo. If you want to get rid of the MAF, get an IAT relocation kit.