Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

o2 sensor codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o2 sensor codes

installed my lt's and i keep getting codes for my o2 sensors. i know how to get rid of them. my question is how do i keep them from coming back? o2 sim? or what?
Old 01-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the truck tuned and have them shut off or buy 02 sims
Old 01-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you get coated headers? The heater and switching codes will be the typical codes you get on a header swap. Hotter o2's sometimes works or just telling pcm to ignore codes is the usually the best route. The coated or wrapped headers help keep the heat in the pipes which is what the o2's are looking for and if they aren't hot enough they get a little lazy (hence the codes). The sims are only for the rear sensors, they are getting harder to find these days (the sims).
Old 01-17-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no they are not coated. i got some dnr motorsport lts off ebay.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Where's the Beef?

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
Did you get coated headers? The heater and switching codes will be the typical codes you get on a header swap. Hotter o2's sometimes works or just telling pcm to ignore codes is the usually the best route. The coated or wrapped headers help keep the heat in the pipes which is what the o2's are looking for and if they aren't hot enough they get a little lazy (hence the codes). The sims are only for the rear sensors, they are getting harder to find these days (the sims).
Considering he JUST put headers on I would ASSUME that the codes are for the rear sensors because there's no cats. Not the fronts.
GreenTurtle, What codes are you getting? Sensors 1 or 2?
Sensors 2 just need shut off and Sensors 1 you would do as Dewey suggested and put hotter sensors in (usually off of a vette or F body).
Old 01-30-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you already got it tuned and still getting codes for the front ones, it's because your front o2's are taking a longer time to heat up and start switching.. This happens pretty often when you install lt headers... Take it to your tuner and have him check to see if they are switching.. If this the case, just have him disable the SES light for those particular codes....
Old 01-30-2010, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There is no such thing as a "Hotter" O2 sensor. Precat sensors determine the air fuel ratio of the engine. Post cat tells the computer if the catalytic converter is working properly. Each sensor has a heater circuit to get it to operating temperature quickly. When these sensors are moved downstream (farther from the motor) they may not get to the right temperature fast enough or at all. Another problem with long tube headers. There are several codes for O2 sensors. What do you have?
Old 01-31-2010, 07:31 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrgoodwrench3
There is no such thing as a "Hotter" O2 sensor.
Are you 100% sure about that? For years now guys have been curing insufficient O2 heating codes by switching to Corvette O2 sensors which supposedly have a hotter heating element. I'm not sure if the element is actually hotter or just heats up faster, but many folks have cured their S1 O2 sensor codes with them
Old 01-31-2010, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
Dewey, where did u find o2 SIMS for our trucks? Last I looked, they weren't for our trucks, just for F-bodies. Vettes too IIRC
What brand are we talkin?