Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

need input

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need input

I have an 04 stock 5.3l with 35K miles for my swap. I have the LS1 intake to clear the hood and need to know where to look on swapping it in (injectors reusable,etc.). I also don't have the ECM or harness because I need to know if the auto trans ecm/harness can be used for the manual trans swap I am doing Or could the 4.8l ECM from a manual truck be used?....Help if ya can.....
Old 01-30-2009, 08:16 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PCM can be re programed with what ever you want, standered/auto, 4.8,5.3,5.7,6.0. As long as you have the harness to support what ever format you choice. There are a few good sponsors to in the column on the right>>> that can help you out. The injectors are longer for the LS1 intakes, and you may run into belt routing troubles depending on what accessory you are going to run.

What is this going in? And Welcome to the site!
Old 01-31-2009, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

Default build

It's going in a Porsche 944 with a manual transmission. I have an '04 5.3l engine. I need to know what ECM and harness to buy, I have been reading the tech tips/terms, but want to be for sure what all I will need to buy for the swap. So can I reuse the truck injectors when I put on the LS1 intake, It is definitely an LS1 intake not LS6 to clear the 944 hood (sleeper for sure)
Old 01-31-2009, 09:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by xschop
It's going in a Porsche 944 with a manual transmission. I have an '04 5.3l engine. I need to know what ECM and harness to buy, I have been reading the tech tips/terms, but want to be for sure what all I will need to buy for the swap. So can I reuse the truck injectors when I put on the LS1 intake, It is definitely an LS1 intake not LS6 to clear the 944 hood (sleeper for sure)
.....BTW I have done many different engine swaps and custom builds, I am just new to this LS motor design....I never liked the LT1 because it is troublesome and the Opti-crap ign. system was the dumbest design I ever saw on an engine (when your water pump starts leaking, you're stranded if not dead)
Old 01-31-2009, 09:41 AM

No Truck injectors are too short. that shouldn't stop you from building custom fuel rail brackets. BUT then if you get a truck harness you would have to swap the injector clips.. If I were doing this swap, I'd look for a wiring harness out of a 02 ls1 car with a standered trans. Truthfully with the right tuning software or tuner, any PCM can run the engine....
Old 01-31-2009, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

Default jectors

Are you saying that if I modify the the rails I can still use the truck injectors on the LS1 intake? Why do you say get the '02 LS1 harness for my '04 motor? I will get it if everything goes together, but if the truck harness and injectors can go on the ls1 intake with a custom rail (i own a CNC machine). I would like to do it that way. I just read that the 5.3l ECM can be programmed to remove the automatic trans inputs/parameters.....Thank you for your input....
Old 01-31-2009, 10:15 AM

yep it can dont get to hung up on the year of the engine, the only different between the 99/01-06ish is egr and a few different computers. Just get a computer that matches the harness. And yes the 5.3 pcm can be programed with out trans, but so can ALL the others... I say get a 02 ls1 harness because you might have to relocate some of the accessory for the intake, but if you are going to cut in splice it doesn't really matter, Hell I know where you can get an 04 5.3 harness...
Old 01-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Wink

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
yep it can dont get to hung up on the year of the engine, the only different between the 99/01-06ish is egr and a few different computers. Just get a computer that matches the harness. And yes the 5.3 pcm can be programed with out trans, but so can ALL the others... I say get a 02 ls1 harness because you might have to relocate some of the accessory for the intake, but if you are going to cut in splice it doesn't really matter, Hell I know where you can get an 04 5.3 harness...
Where?...fleabay..... I will work on the intake swap and see what pans out....where can I send my ECM to when I am ready? Also the builder I got the motor from said that the intake was a 6.0l intake and I also won't be needing the exhaust manifolds either. I read somewhere that the rear O2 sensors could be deleted, but need to find that info again.....there are no emission checks here, that's why a truck motor is going in my Porsche
Old 01-31-2009, 10:26 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does he know its a 6.0 intake. 4.8,5.3,6.0 all use the same intake.
I think there is a new sticky at the top of the tuning section that lists Tuners that can do that for you. I'd do it for you but I'd rather get more experience with the software before I do someone elses stuff.
The tuner will delete the rear O2s for you
Old 01-31-2009, 10:40 PM

Our classified section would be a good start. I still have an 04 harness listed there. Nelson, wheatly, Black bear, All good sponsors that could help you out with the tuning side. 4.8/5.3/6.0 Intakes and exhaust manifolds are all the same. The rear 02 can be deleted, hell the maf and front 02 can go if you want to get a bit more advanced with the tuning side of it.

Quick Reply: need input