Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Need help! 5.3 running like crap after cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help! 5.3 running like crap after cam swap

Hello all, this is my first time posting so Let me start off with telling you that I'm no professional and I've only learned how to work on vehicles by trial and error.

Here's the story, About a month ago I had a head gasket blow due to the cheap ebay gaskets I used when replacing both of my heads about 3 years ago (I know but I was on a budget and i learned my lesson). So since I was going to be pulling the heads I'd figure that I would replace the lifters and cam while I was in there in hopes to get rid of the lifter noise. In the end I decided to do a few extra upgrades: lunati cam 212/218 .531/.531 LSA/ICL: 113/109, lifters, and springs, new timing chain and cam gear, pacesetter shortys and a magna flow duel exhaust. I also got the heads milled,cleaned, and tested and got a nice set of Victor gaskets.

After the engine was put back together I started it and it wouldn't start unless I stepped on the gas and i soon as I took my foot off it would die. When it was running it felt like half the cylinders were misfiring and i had a large amount off white smoke coming from the exhaust. I double checked all wire connections Then i checked the new spark plugs and all of bank 2 still look new but all of bank 1 are carbon fouled. When I installed the cam I lined it up dot to dot but did not degree it but I doubt that would cause it to run that way. I going to do a compression test tomorrow but wanted to know if there is anything else I should do to diagnose this problem. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Did you get a tune??? That cam is going to need a tune!!! Are all of your injectors connected and have you checked to make sure you have spark on all cylinders, are your o2 sensors connected.....do you have a scanner you can see data with??
Old 01-20-2016, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Did you get a tune??? That cam is going to need a tune!!! Are all of your injectors connected and have you checked to make sure you have spark on all cylinders, are your o2 sensors connected.....do you have a scanner you can see data with??
So i let run for 10 or 15 seconds and only the driver side header is getting hot so I'm not getting spark and/or fuel to bank 2. I pulled the intake to look for any loose grounds but all wires seem to be attached. What else would cause bank 2 to not fire? What am i looking for when testing the plug to the coil pack?
Old 01-20-2016, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Before you get too far involved in that check fuses and make sure connections are all good and make sure the white connector on the coil bracket is seated all the way...and verify you have no spark...
Old 01-20-2016, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also what year truck is it???
Old 01-20-2016, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

The pink wire going to your coils and injectors should be 12 volts..... They also connect to the inj 1 and 2 fuses in underhood box
Old 01-20-2016, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

From what i cantell in wiring diagram inj 1 fuse is bank 2
Old 01-20-2016, 08:07 PM

Also what year truck is it???
2005 silverado cc 5.3
Old 01-20-2016, 08:16 PM

From what i cantell in wiring diagram inj 1 fuse is bank 2
I've checked the fuses and all wires are connected. I'm going to do a spark test tonight and I'll report back. Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok i pulled diagram for 05, so pink wires are power black is ground.. Both banks ground to left side of engine... See if you have power on the pink wire while the key is on... The bank 2 injectors and coils pull power from inj1 fuse, bank 1 pulls from inj 2.... This assuming the pcm is doing what it should because you obviously have injector pulse on bank 1 anyway...

Quick Reply: Need help! 5.3 running like crap after cam swap