Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

KR Under Boost - Help? Radixed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default KR Under Boost - Help? Radixed.

A noob with a fresh copy of HPT Pro I need some advise.
Help me guys, I'm looking for classes or a tutor (I'm 25mi North of Atlanta) but for now I need a rescue.

I have timing pulled up top from 120-ish through to 126mph. Now this is not anything I will do often but I am wringing out the tune so to see whats there.

Long story short on the tune is I got a bad deal from a pro and decided to get HPT and go for it.

And this tune may be ALL wrong so don't hold back. I can take it.

Truck is a ecsb 4x4 05 L33 5.3 with a 3.4" pulley @ 7psi on 3.42 gears. The logs are jumpy on the boost but the PLX vac/boost is steady. A CAI and Corsa catback.
AFR is PLX wide band. It reads a couple 10ths leaner than HPT but I have to tune to it I guess.

I am attaching my current tune. "myspark03.hpt"
The one I'm getting away from "rt.hpt"
And my config file in case you want to see it on my gauges and chart. Change it from a "My Imp.txt" to a "My Imp.cfg" to use it.

The original tune has 20* all over it in a way I have never seen in any examples. Please look at it and comment? It was also originally set for a 12.5 WOT AFR.

Thanks Guys
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
rt.hpt (547.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: hpl
AAAA.hpl (16.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: txt
My Imp.txt (2.7 KB, 47 views)
Old 07-29-2009, 03:16 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

It is real knock because it keeps escalating. Notice how the KR line looks like stair steps, and keeps getting bigger with each step, thats real knock. False knock would jump then decay and disappear.

I think your MAF is not tuned right. Notice how you are commanding a constant PE but your AFR line is slowly getting richer, it should be constant.

I uploaded a config I want you to try.

I have a PLX wideband as well and am not convinced of its accuracy at rich settings. Compared to an AFM1000 on the dyno it was almost half a point off, but the AFM was further back so that may have messed with it slightly.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
My Imp-atomic.txt (2.7 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Atomic; 07-29-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:34 PM
I have a gauge for that

900 bucks? What was included in that?

You may or not be interested, but the place I put my truck on the dyno was in birmingham and they will do a full dyno tune; ve, maf, spark, everything, for around $500 with hptuners. The guy was real cool when I went there. Southeast chassis dyno is what it was called.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea thats a rough looking tune to me..

id be mad if thats what i got for $900.

Id pull i lil more timing on the IAT spark table. yours isnt goin to start pulling timing till 158*.
and your KR showed up at 150*..
Old 07-29-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I gotta becareful because they lurk here. There are some good people there. I think managment is not in on the full story. And it was just a WOT AFR tune too. Ugh!
I'll be seeing them soon. If I have a case they will make it good I'm sure. As you guys can see I am not the most tune savvy guy out there.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default OK, Moving on,

OK, Moving on,

Atomic, I did three things and the KR did not raise it's ugly head. New file and log attached.

I am not setup to do one thing and check. I wish but I had to revers some things and try.

Got the injector last three cells corrected in Flow Rate vs KPA from 39.00 to 39.68 like the rest.

In the Power Enrichment Rate I reversed it back to the default 0.0195 from a 0.5000 I had heard about.

In Power Enrichment Multiplier vs. RPM I reversed the changes in the last seven cells to be the same as the rest.

Hammer down and no KR.

I do need some VE an MAF stuff because my commanded is 11.91 and the PLX says 12.16 or so at the top just before the shifts.

Have a look. Delete the previous files. See the log and comment on anything you would look into.

Thanks to you guys knowing what to look at I can at least drive the rig.
Attached Files
myspark03.hpt (547.9 KB, 66 views)
BBBB.hpl (7.1 KB, 79 views)
Old 08-02-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hi Guys,

As an update the run with no KR was a fluke and KR returned in later trials.
It's ok now though.

@Atomic - you asked about why he messed with the injector Flow Rate vs KPA. I returned it to the last three showing smaller injectors because the strategy there is to make the VCM think they are smaller and hold them open longer to help get to the desired PE faster.

I then pulled a degree out of some timing and made my commanded AFR 11.8 from a 11.91.

The KR is gone. My PLX pillar gauge reads my commanded. What do you think of this? Do you think my AFR error % is in the wide band EIO ?

I gotta remember my L33 5.3 is a 9.9:1 compression motor vs the LM7 9.5:1, so she will tune a little different.

Current Tune and log attached.

Thanks,
Attached Files
myspark03c.hpt (547.9 KB, 56 views)
zzzz.hpl (12.4 KB, 297 views)
Old 08-02-2009, 03:50 PM
I have a gauge for that

Thats a half-*** way to do tune PE. I wouldnt suggest that method. If you want more fuel, then change the PE ratio. Alot of guys will change the IFR table isntead of tuning MAF because it only takes a second. If your MAF is tuned, then messing with the IFR is a bad way to do things.

With a slightly richer mix you can usually run more timing, so that combined with the fact you took out some timing, no wonder it doesnt knock anymore.

Having your wideband match commanded just means the MAF is tuned correctly for your wideband. The issue I have is how do you know that the wideband is accurately reading what is actually happening. Whats to say your wideband isnt always reading lean so when it says you are 13.0 you are actually 12.5? See the problem?
Old 08-02-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Atomic
See the problem?

Originally Posted by Atomic
See the problem?
Yes I do. And I appreciate your bluntness. I need it really.
It's all I can do right now until I get some schooling. I got took to the cleaners and went out and purchased HPT.

The tune attached in my first post is what I got from them. It detonates all over the place but for WOT.

So I ditch it and take the Magnuson supplied tune and tweak it a bit for the one size pulley drop I did so I can run. I log it and see the high speed KR and look for a cure.
I was commanding leaner than I read most shoot for in a safe FI tune so I pulled it to the 11.8.
The KR was still there across three runs but much less of it.
I left it as is and put the Flow Rate vs KPA as I thought I found it but I was confused, it was the shops setting. The Maggie tune did not do that. I will be reversing it and running it a few times to see what happens. I feel like it will not have an effect since the KR comes way in the middle of a long run where the goal is PE already met.

The last thing I did was drop the timing a smidgen and it will not reproduce the KR. Still runs real strong.

Atomic, I want to thank you for sticking in and calling it like you see it. I need this kind of info pretty bad.

So, looking at the tune in my OP, and the one attached here, which one would you run if you had to pick? Look at the PE and timing he was commanding. It almost looks like he wants me to blow up.

I'll let you know how it goes after I pull the Flow rate back to how Maggie sent it.

If you have any suggestions don't be shy.

Thanks
Attached Files
myspark03c.hpt (547.9 KB, 67 views)
Old 08-02-2009, 10:32 PM
I have a gauge for that

Taking a closer look at the first tune you posted, the one you got from them, I would be very upset if I paid more than $50 for that, much less than $900, which I sure hope more than the tune was included in that. They raped your spark tables, didnt do jack for the MAF or VE tables, and fudged the injector flow rate to make it richer in the upper RPMS. Not to mention command max trans pressure to shift with no torque management which is extremely hard on the trans. Overall, its a half-*** job any way you slice it.

You have the right idea with completely scraping their tune and just going off the stock radix tune. The one you attached looks much more suitable, but you still need to tune MAF and VE.

Quick Reply: KR Under Boost - Help? Radixed.