Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Injector timing for camshafts

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Injector timing for camshafts

I read a great thread over on the HPtuners forum about tuning the injector timing normal and makeup tables based on your cam specs. I don't have my truck with me until this weekend but I was wondering if anyone has played with those tables after adding a mild to high duration cam.

A couple people in that forum claimed to have picked up 25ftlbs of tq in lower rpm regions. Also it should take care of the rich smelling exhaust since the injector would inject close to or at the end of the overlap cycle. So no raw fuel would be able to leave strait out of the exhaust valve and out of the tailpipe. And thoughts or experience with these tables?
Old 04-12-2012, 04:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes with large/larger camshafts you can have what's called "short circuiting" at lower rpms where fuel is getting blown right out the exhaust valve due to the overlap of the larger cam. Delaying injection timing some from what the stock setting is can help with this.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

How much would you delay? 17-18% delay were the best results for the two guys on the other forum.

Would you delay until you get the richest mixture? That way you know most or all of the injection is being burned?
Old 04-12-2012, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just been reading about this too. I wonder if it would matter on a cam like mine with zero overlap. Sounds like it would make the engine more efficient and add power. Anyone know exactly how to do it?
Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by swift700
...I wonder if it would matter on a cam like mine with zero overlap. ...
No, you would only lose the benefit of having the stock GM setting, which is to have the injector spray hitting the back of the closed intake valve improving atomization.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ther is an actual spread sheet on HP tuners in one of those threads. You input all your cam info and it spits out a "base number" to start at. Then adjust accordingly. Not real sure how accurate it is, haven't messed with it yet but it's worth a shot.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea that spreadsheet was created with just guesses. It might be a good starting point but you would need a dyno to really dial in the correct number. There were two guys in that thread who used a dyno to tune the timing. One guy found best results with a delay of 17% at operating temp and the other found best results at 18%. So for us who don't have access to a dyno, do you guys think it's safe to just give use those numbers in our tune?
Old 04-13-2012, 08:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I tune cars/trucks with larger cams I have been delaying the injector by the number of degrees that the exhaust valve closing event deviates from stock. That has worked well for me so far. But I have not put anything on the dyno. But the engines usually feel better and it seems to cure a lot of low rpm surge.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:02 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Anyone have a link to the thread?
Old 04-14-2012, 01:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Injector Timing? Reference Periods? refereencing what? - HP Tuners Bulletin Board

Quick Reply: Injector timing for camshafts