Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Iat's 131

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Iat's 131

I ran a scan with my HP tuners software and the inlet air temps were hitting 131 degrees, it has the stock air box and air filter. It is 98 degrees outside here today (houston), but I would have thought that the air would have been atleast that cool since it is sucking from the fender. Is there a cold air kit that isolates the filter from all engine heat? Could the sensor be bad, is it the tab in the mass air that reads temp, or is there a stand alone sensor in the manifold somewhere?

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

What truck and engine do you have?
Old 07-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Post 2003 ccsb 5.3 stock,

2004 CCSB 5.3, Guess i left that part out, kind of hard to concentrate with a 5yr old in my ear asking me questions when im typing.

update, took the air box pulled it up out of the engine bay with the hood open, and it says it is 118 degrees intake air temp, it is 81 degrees outside here in houston. It is off, probably by about 30 degrees , just not sure if it is bad or if something else is causing it to read wrong. I have HPtuners and i know the scanner is working right. Is the iat sensor in the maf sensor? I dont see one anywhere else...

The truck has a drop in k&n filter, and 3 inch catback with flowmaster muffler, Hptuners tuned by me, just added timing in places and removed tq mgmt....

thanks in advance for any and all help

Last edited by OH4CHEV; 07-26-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: ADD ON
Old 07-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are in stop and go driving,the IAT's will elevate,especially is the BS houston heat and humidity.That is what your IAT spark correction table is there for.zeroing the IAT table is not the answer either like I see alot do,that is not a good idea.Read the stickies!!
If you are cruising on the highway,a good intake will be a couple degrees above ambient temps,stop and go is a different story,things gets hot.Its normal!!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:38 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Sounds pretty normal to me, the air heats up on the way into the engine.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Smile update

i pulled the mass air and cleaned it thoroughly, and made sure the pin connecton was still good, put it back together and now it shows about 95 coming in, i had cleaned the sensor with mass air cleaner, but i thought i would try some brake cleaner, i sprayed it on, then immediately sprayed it with maf sensor cleaner so the brake cleaner didnt eat the sensors. it seems to have worked, although i still think that it may be off by 10-15 degrees. the truck runs much better now. it is smoother accelerating and pulls all the way through, it was nosing over a little before.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

not to jack his thread, but my IAT was pushing 142. I might have messed it up when I disconnected the MAF (shitty guide). Air temp on Guam is always between 80-95 degrees.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:05 AM
TECH Resident

Plastic doesn't conduct heat very well but even so there is enough heat under the hood that the entire air cleaner setup gets hot enough to heat up the incoming air. Its just one of those things. It makes my 99 a complete dog when it breaks 100 degrees outside.

Best solution I've found is a single plane high rise intake on a wet flow system. The old 95 tends to run in the 70 degree range while driving and about 110-120 while idling. Thats manifold temp, not intake air temp, so the air actually going into the engine stays very cool. I love it because I can sit there and idle forever with it completely heat soaked and take off like its 70 degrees outside. The damn 99 dogs out, the fan clutch goes nuts and the truck goes nowhere fast. This doesn't really help you out much but its kind of interesting how well a wet flow intake works.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:41 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Dude, your IAT's were probably actually that high. I tuned a bone stock 07 tbss today in Houston and IATs were 130+, I actually saw 142 at one point. We were just cruising around in the neighborhood and it was heat soaking bad. When I found out the guy had 87 fuel in it I was like........lets just put the stock tune back in it, come back when your gonna run 93 and we'll put the w/b on it. To me it's not worth the risk on his wifes daily driver.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:05 AM
Banned

Rode in a truck today with the HPtuners on the laptop logging....IAT's started out at around 140 ish sitting there and after driving around at 70ish mph for about 10 minutes it was back down to around 105ish....its just hot man.

Till you can figure out how to refridgerate your engine bay its gonna be that way

Quick Reply: Iat's 131