Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

How did u learn to tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for replies guys.
I'd still like to know who's tuning w/. what software.

Dewey, I saw your name & thought...Oh great, I don't even have to read that one, cause it's prolly a smart remark.
To my surprise, I think I can get some useful info outta that.

In case it was missed, I do have a W/B. Never hooked it up.
Cause I thought I had to drop the headliner, cause I'm goin to be running it (W/B) in overhd. console. Apparently, it's way easier than that & only requires a screw or 2 to be removed to drop down o/h console. I have the small console. I was gonna run a So-Cal mount, but I may make my own if things work out.

Last edited by fastnblu; 04-05-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey hey hey...I give reasonable and thoughtful comments every so often....6 out of 10.

Alright, maybe 4 out of 10.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

From what I understand running W/B up in overhd. console is easy. So, I drop it & run some wires. Oh ya, electrical isn't my forte. But, IIRC, Autometer only has like 4 wires to run. Ya, I got their good 1, not the lightshow.

I proly should figure out what other gauge I'm puttin up there & do all at once. I though of throwin a D-PIC up there I have. Figured a FP gauge & boost/vac gauges are gonna go elsewhere. I want those more visible to me, but not to others. Security & non-ricer look is why.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
hey hey hey...I give reasonable and thoughtful comments every so often....6 out of 10.

Alright, maybe 4 out of 10.
.4 times 8 million posts is a lot of good info
Old 04-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by charcold-bowtie
.4 times 8 million posts is a lot of good info
8,153,294 thank you very much!
Old 04-07-2010, 09:33 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Originally Posted by fastnblu
The hi lited things I believe will help me the most. I'm curious why u said, "Don't think of it as tuning via a computer", twice? Did u mean to or was that for emphasis?

Erik, I never tuned old school, so it's all kinda new. Kinda. I read a lot over the yrs, but that's not the same as doin.
Now, on this truck, I'm starting to do more. I've done motor swaps, tranny swaps & intake/ carb swaps. Other little things. Even tossed go-fast goodies onto my 3rd Gen Camaro. Even tho it was never tuned, it screamed for what I did. I can only imagine how tuning would improve that car. I still have it, tho she sits patiently.

Tip #3 I think we be the most vital of all, & also, not gettin frustrated.

I just now started to learn, but this vehicle will be more built than others.
So you've tuned both HPT & EFILive or did u mean just EFI cars/ trucks in general?
Sorry I missed your reply Tom.

Yeah I said the "Don't think of it as tuning via a computer" bit twice because, IMO, people get wrapped up in the computer part and tend to forget this is just tuning with a different tool.

I've tuned in both HPT and EFILive on current GM PCMs and have done EFI tuning the "old fashioned way" (eprom chips and hex-editors back in the early 90s). The new way is MUCH bettterer
Old 04-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
I've tuned in both HPT and EFILive on current GM PCMs and have done EFI tuning the "old fashioned way" (eprom chips and hex-editors back in the early 90s). The new way is MUCH bettterer
Agreed... x1000
Old 04-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Truck Sponsor

I may not know much but a good resource is efi101.com, quite a few classes offered.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
Sorry I missed your reply Tom.

Yeah I said the "Don't think of it as tuning via a computer" bit twice because, IMO, people get wrapped up in the computer part and tend to forget this is just tuning with a different tool.
No worries Erik.

Originally Posted by JennaBear
I may not know much but a good resource is efi101.com, quite a few classes offered.
Even if a person told me they didn't know much, if they have helpful, valid links, sometimes that's just as valuable. Plus, I know a sponsor or 2 on PT knows how to tune if I get in over my head.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I read for about 2 months prior to buying the software. Then i took baby steps. Change 1 thing at a time, flash it in and see what it does. Then do a lot of reading on here, tech, EFILive and Hptuners...

Also another thing i did, do a search in the tuning sections for 1 member at a time, for example look up all posts by DC Justin, the all posts by Wheatley, etc etc... Read the question that was asked then read how they anwered it.. Kinda stalkerish but oh well....

Quick Reply: How did u learn to tune?