Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

How did u learn to tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.hollandms.com/newbie/tuning_new.htm

any time I see a good write up I start reading, and save it so I can read it again. this one seems pretty good...
Old 04-05-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 04SilveradoMykk
1) Automotive Tech College
2) HPtuners.com, EFIlive.com, enthusiast forums
3) Research, Research, Research
4) Trial and error + a little common sense

Don't be afraid to ask. Somebody somewhere has had the same problem as you and already knows how to solve it, or at least point you in the right direction. You never stop learning.
Joe, I need to update my sig. Ya, I already have Pro & I have a W/B too. But I have yet to hook my W/B up. Even if I did no tuning whatsoever, W/B will be a monitoring tool.

I need to check out this stand alone logging. How's that work, cause don't ya still need your laptop?

Mykk, u went to Auto Tech College? Cause that's not an option w/. work.
Sounds like u go on a variety of tuning forums, not just the brand u have. Is this correct? Sounds like outside the box thinkin cause if u have HPT, u can still learn from EFILive. I never thought of that. BTW, sweet lookin truck!

I know some guys have both systems. Pros/cons to both I'm sure.
Common sense is the easy part.

Last edited by fastnblu; 04-05-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Joe, that just got favorited. Thanks a bunch.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:14 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

i really want to buy HP, but i feel like my build is to the point that i would be jumping in the deep end with a engine block tied to my feet.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fastnblu

Mykk, u went to Auto Tech College? Cause that's not an option w/. work.
Sounds like u go on a variety of tuning forums, not just the brand u have. Is this correct? Sounds like outside the box thinkin cause if u have HPT, u can still learn from EFILive. I never thought of that. BTW, sweet lookin truck
Thank you. I went to three different Auto Tech Colleges (consecutively) while working full time in the auto field. There weren't very many classes that got to in depth with the PCM and it's control tables. So mostly the learning has all been online, in fact now I give a lecture once a semester at the local auto tech college out here giving the students an inside look at PCM control tables using HPTuners. I don't get into the how and why of modifying a tune because that's not what the class is about, but rather just looking at MAF tables, VE tables, fuel injection controls, trans shift tables...what affects what, etc

I visit as many auto forums as possible trying to soak up information. I do personally use HPtuners but EFIlive lets you download the program for free and even has a few tunes to walk around in. While I'm teaching myself on diesel tuning, there aren't a whole lot of people using HPT. So I had to view what and why people changed what they did by using EFIlive and viewing tunes from dieselplace.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

for stand along logging you have to set up your box, with the config you want to use, save it to the box.

then when you have just the box and no laptop you just hit the record button to start recording and push it one to leave a mark.

You would set this up for your truck only, wont work if you set it up for a certain car then pulg it into a different car the config file will not be happy.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:24 PM
9 Second Club

I started by downloading the efilive software and literally spent months looking at tunes and researching the forums to get an idea of what to do and why to do it. Thats the key, you have to know why you are changing what you are changing and that takes time. Get a wideband if you dont have one. But in the end it comes down to 3 things, spark, fuel and air. Airflow and driveability on cammed and fi setups can be tricky, but with a wideband and logging data, wot is easy once you get familiar with what to change.

Everyone goes about things different to reach their end result, for example...alot of people tune the wot fuel via the pe table only. I like to set the pe table to my commanded #'s to what i want (from mid 11's on fi to mid to upper 12's on motor), and then tune the fuel with the maf and ve tables. It's a learning curve for sure and i learn something on each vehicle i do, even 60 cars later i still learn something new all the time. Just dont give up on it and research research research, thats the key.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a local tuning shop (Dyno-Comp) tune my truck on there dyno with HPtuners, i do plan on buy HPtuners and i would like to learn how to tune my own personal rides someday.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Junkie

I started tuning in prep for my turbo set up. Ended up with a NA 4.8 that was set up 2-bar OLSD with 42lb injectors, lol, then just added the turbo to it. Just jump in and start learning, save old tunes, not every one but hte ones with relevant changes
Old 04-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trever1t
See, I don't just post EVERYTHING I do
I tuned my Injector tables, offset tables, some other Inj. tables, but I spent close to 30 hours tuning VE in OL. Adjusted my PE and BE tables. Again, I did this with very good help from an expert via MSN. I'd give credit where due but I'd be afraid he'd get swamped with requests

It's pretty simple process, just make sure you back-up everything!
can I say his name? That'd be great if he got slammed!

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
You wont blow anything up. Tuning a near stockish engine is nearly idiot proof. The worst thing I ever did was forget to tune out the PE delay and I was running stoich at WOT To my amazement, GM set up the HD 6 liter truck not to go into power enrichment at WOT for 60 seconds. I was baffled. However, as you know, engine is still alive and well.
However...Those PE delays are some of the first things people delete when learning to performance tune. If you change chose tables as time goes on you can take a supposedly idiot proof item and make it a 300 pound coffee table.

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
i really want to buy HP, but i feel like my build is to the point that i would be jumping in the deep end with a engine block tied to my feet.
ya been around long enough to know the truth to that. LOL

I always suggest get a freaking wideband. Can you tune without? Hell yeah, but why bother? A wideband will help you always stay in YOUR comfort zone. Get a wideband and read the tutorials on tuning your ve table. Spend months doing that. You will learn so many things just by simply trying to get your trims to zero (impossible btw). Wideband and tune the hell out of the ve/maf. From there you'll learn a ton. Forget to zero this, click that, open this..."there's a table for that"?!?!

Quick Reply: How did u learn to tune?