Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

How did u learn to tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How did u learn to tune?

For those that didn't know how to tune, how did u learn?
I have HPTuners & was curious how others learned? If you were clueless goin in, even better. Even if you're experienced, I like any HELPFULreplies.

How long did those unfamiliar take to pick it up. Or what would be the fastest way to go about learning?

I asked this question to 1 of my TX buddies, & wanna see others replies.

I'm not computer saavy but I can find the internet, PT & Ebay.
So ya, kinda starting from Square 1. I'm pretty sharp, & even tho I don't know how to tune, I wanna learn. I have always had an interest in vehicles, & even tho I'm not a tech, as I do more, my confidence goes up. So I figure since I like automotive stuff, I might stumble my way thru this cause the hobby interests me.

Last edited by fastnblu; 04-04-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Where's the Beef?

read the tutorials that comes with the software.
hptuners.com/forums
Google.com
and the numerous people and threads here on the site.

Just gotta try to do 1 thing at a time.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I worked in a gas station/shop and we got to doing performance stuff and ended up gettin a chassis dyno and tuning software and I did the majority of the tuning until I quit to make more money.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:14 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

I asked a member to help me via MSN chat. He would give me instructions and I would follow them. Once I started doing it it made more sense. I was really aprehensive about it but in the end it worked out really well. The only thing I couldn't do was timing, so I had that done on a dyno. It's really the only way to squeeze the most out of it safely and damn if I can hold steady state in 2nd at anything over 4000rpms
Old 04-04-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dirt track racer 81
I worked in a gas station/shop and we got to doing performance stuff and ended up gettin a chassis dyno and tuning software and I did the majority of the tuning until I quit to make more money.
Tyler, u guys got a chassis dyno just cause of you? What software did u guys use there?

Bill, I thought Rick did all your tuning save for u doing the trans stuff? Cause I went some old threads, & back in '07 or '08, that was all u planned. So yes, I did a search.

I'm kinda shocked how few posted up. So that must mean Wheatley & Justin are tuning all of PT's rides.
What software, HPT or EFILive are people using?

Last edited by fastnblu; 04-04-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:35 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

1) Don't think of it as tuning via a computer. Think of it as a fancy interface to your old school engine and start with what you are comfortable with tuning there.
2) Don't think of it as tuning via a computer. Think of it as debugging your engine. Debugging requires small steps, and changing one thing at a time to observe the effect.
3) Go slow -- make sure you understand what you are being told to do (in the tutorials or whatever) and that you get what effects your changes should have.
4) Learn the language. We all speak in some jargonized geek speak about tuning now -- you can't jump into the conversation without knowing all the jargon. If someone says something you don't recognize, don't be proud -- ASK what they mean.
5) Be prepared to dig and dig and dig on the internet until you find the right guy saying what you need to read for it to click into place. Patience is a HUGE part of it.

I'd tuned old school cars, I'd tuned 5.0 mustanges with eproms and hex editors, I still HATED tuning when I started with HPT (part of the reason was because LS1Edit had trained a lot of REALLY bad habits into the tuning community -- stuff that worked but made NO sense what-so-ever lol and had become absolute gospel...) When I switched to EFI, there was the huge interface cognitive load again, but I actually liked the EFI interface so much better, it was easier to stomach.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
1) Don't think of it as tuning via a computer. Think of it as a fancy interface to your old school engine and start with what you are comfortable with tuning there.
2) Don't think of it as tuning via a computer. Think of it as debugging your engine. Debugging requires small steps, and changing one thing at a time to observe the effect.
3) Go slow -- make sure you understand what you are being told to do (in the tutorials or whatever) and that you get what effects your changes should have.
4) Learn the language. We all speak in some jargonized geek speak about tuning now -- you can't jump into the conversation without knowing all the jargon. If someone says something you don't recognize, don't be proud -- ASK what they mean.
5) Be prepared to dig and dig and dig on the internet until you find the right guy saying what you need to read for it to click into place. Patience is a HUGE part of it.

I'd tuned old school cars, I'd tuned 5.0 mustanges with eproms and hex editors, I still HATED tuning when I started with HPT (part of the reason was because LS1Edit had trained a lot of REALLY bad habits into the tuning community -- stuff that worked but made NO sense what-so-ever lol and had become absolute gospel...) When I switched to EFI, there was the huge interface cognitive load again, but I actually liked the EFI interface so much better, it was easier to stomach.
The hi lited things I believe will help me the most. I'm curious why u said, "Don't think of it as tuning via a computer", twice? Did u mean to or was that for emphasis?

Erik, I never tuned old school, so it's all kinda new. Kinda. I read a lot over the yrs, but that's not the same as doin.
Now, on this truck, I'm starting to do more. I've done motor swaps, tranny swaps & intake/ carb swaps. Other little things. Even tossed go-fast goodies onto my 3rd Gen Camaro. Even tho it was never tuned, it screamed for what I did. I can only imagine how tuning would improve that car. I still have it, tho she sits patiently.

Tip #3 I think we be the most vital of all, & also, not gettin frustrated.

I just now started to learn, but this vehicle will be more built than others.
So you've tuned both HPT & EFILive or did u mean just EFI cars/ trucks in general?

Last edited by fastnblu; 04-04-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Some things I know, just enuff to be dangerous.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Tyler, u guys got a chassis dyno just cause of you? What software did u guys use there?
He didnt get it just because of me. The shop owner and I were both performance oriented, he had some old street cars back in the day and I had grown up around dirt track racin. We got efi live for the GMs, SCT Custom for Fords, and he recently got Diablo for Dodges. I still go up there and help him on bigger projects.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:04 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

See, I don't just post EVERYTHING I do
I tuned my Injector tables, offset tables, some other Inj. tables, but I spent close to 30 hours tuning VE in OL. Adjusted my PE and BE tables. Again, I did this with very good help from an expert via MSN. I'd give credit where due but I'd be afraid he'd get swamped with requests

It's pretty simple process, just make sure you back-up everything!
Old 04-04-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Interesting how he's got a little different medicine for all the brands.
So what are u runnin in your own truck?

Quick Reply: How did u learn to tune?