Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Head scratcher...Tune "Fan 2" for A/C only?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Head scratcher...Tune "Fan 2" for A/C only?

I asked this question over on HPTuners forum a few days ago with absolutely no results. I'm kind of disappointed in that forum actually considering how respected it is for getting technical questions solved. Anyway, my question is in regards to my Sonoma's 5.7L (5.3 bored over, see Signature for details) and using the PCM to control the dedicated electric fan on the A/C condenser.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...710#post144710

I wrote a PM to hirdlej asking this same thing who suggested I ask the forum instead because I might have found myself up **** creek without a paddle on this one.

Spark notes version: Can I tune fan 2 to send a signal to a relay or power the fan by itself ONLY when the A/C comes on. This has nothing to do with on/off temps, solely when the A/C compressor is running.

PM copied and pasted:

My wiring harness came with two fan wires labeled "Fan 1" and "Fan 2", and within HPT I see that I can control two fan's on/off temp, how long they stay on after turning the truck off, ect. I'm only running a single Lincoln Mark VIII 18" fan for my radiator that could probably take my truck into flight if I ran her at full speed. lol What I had planned on doing is just tuning "Fan 1" to trigger a relay which then provides power to the electric fan, it's either at full speed or off...I can't think of any way to get 2 speeds out of her but I'm not too worried. With my setup I doubt my fan will ever be on as long as I'm moving forward with sufficient airflow because of how overkill the radiator is (summit dual core all aluminum radiator meant to upgrade a stock 1500HD 6.0L's radiator). The fan is there really for sitting in traffic on a hot day in the summer, or when I'm really romping on it off-road. Any time the fan turns on it will pull +/-5500 cfm through my monster radiator so I think I'm good.

Any ways, back to air conditioning. That's where "Fan 2" pig tail comes in, which is load rated for 33amps which should be PLENTY to run without a relay powering a small 8" electric fan to pull air through my remote air conditioning condenser. I have not installed the A/C compressor yet, as I want to get the motor running and tuned first before I hook up any A/C. My stock 4.3L condenser is probably in some garbage dump outside of the Twin Cities right now, since I tossed it to use the stock A/C condenser off a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 with a shrouded 8" electric fan, all-in-one "kit" if you will, that I bought off eBay. It really is a nice setup coming from MOPAR , which makes my life a lot easier as a remote A/C condenser rather than trying to stuff my dual core radiator into the core support along with my stock A/C condenser.

I am wondering if HPT has the ability to sense whenever the A/C request wire is hot, and at the same time activate "Fan 2" which will always be on anytime the A/C is, pulling air through my remote condenser. I figure there has to be a way since the PCM automatically bumps rpm's up a little when the A/C is turned on so I know it recognizes A/C on vs off. If there is absolutely no way to tune this "Fan 2" wire to do what I want, I have a backup plan which will piggy back off the A/C compressor's request wire and trigger a relay, which in turn activates the fan. That might be easier in the end, but it's one more thing I'll have to wire so I'm trying to take care of the A/C issue with a few clicks, rather than a few burnt fingers since I suck with a soldering iron.
Thanks for reading and ask if you need ANY clarification.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you wire your fans up as in how we do it using 3 relays then when the AC kicks on the one fan will operate. once temp gets to set point both fans are on now
Old 09-22-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Which relay do you use to control one of the fans and where do you get your power source from to trigger the relay?
Old 09-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Banned

if you search youll see the schematic that ppl printed up. i used it but have it printed out just dont have it on computer anymore

off top of my head the relays are wired together. we use a green or is it the green/white wire from the ac relay. its hte trigger wire. i tapped off the one in the black box underneath the relay for the ac.

ill see if i can dig up the schematic on the net
Old 09-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Banned

http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/...pe=post&id=984

down some youll see one diagram, goign try to find a better one
Old 09-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Banned

ok found it for ya

been running this for 2 yrs no issues
Attached Thumbnails Head scratcher...Tune "Fan 2" for A/C only?-truck_fan_wiring3relay.gif  
Old 09-22-2008, 12:16 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what pcm are you using to try and control all of this stuff?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
what pcm are you using to try and control all of this stuff?
'01 Tahoe PCM, the one I got my 5.3L from.

7845, thank you for your help.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:06 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that pcm will only control one fan relay. and it will not ground the pin for any a/c compressor needs.
My advice would be go buy a cheap fan controler with a/c input.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by InchUp
'01 Tahoe PCM, the one I got my 5.3L from.

7845, thank you for your help.
YW. not only have i wired my fans like this i have wired others like this with no issues. just make sure to activate them as aux fan

Quick Reply: Head scratcher...Tune "Fan 2" for A/C only?