Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

First time tuning. 4L80E swap tuning with HPtuners

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default First time tuning. 4L80E swap tuning with HPtuners

Okay, so the physical part of the 4L80E swap is done. I haven't done any wiring modifications or relay installs.

I have been told that it's possible to do a segment swap through HPtuners now.

I bought HPtuners and I haven't used it yet. So I'm a complete newb with that.

So I'm a little unclear on what to do.

First off, regardless of which way I go, I need to rewire for the 4L80E correct?

Like this:
Name:  35118D2C-9754-451B-975E-39BFC2BE8852-18020-00000857A9B0ABEB.jpg
Views: 6375
Size:  175.4 KB

Now, after that, it's either keep the 60E tune and wire in a relay (while also disabling codes P0785, P1860, and P1870) or contact HPtuners and have a segment swap done. If I go the segment swap route, do I wire in a second VSS sensor?

What's the advantage to either setup? With the relay, I would be disabling PWM. Is this possible with a segment swap? Do I need to find the correct OS for a segment swap or is this something HPtuners takes care of?

BeatdownZ gave me this link.

Keeping converter locked on 4l80e at 0% Throttle - HP Tuners Bulletin Board

I haven't downloaded the attached file but its my understanding that it's a tune for a stock 5.3L with a 4L80E. Would tuning my transmission be as simple as copying the data in that file?

I just started searching around and I haven't found a write up, per se. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome. I'm eager to take my first steps learning about tuning.

Thanks fellas!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you have to contact support at HPT and they do the segment swap for you. At least that is how they used to do it.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can do the relay mod and it doesnt need a segment swap. also try changing in trans>auto shift properties> general. swap 4l60e to 4l80e. if im not mistaken that will be all you need now
Old 01-08-2013, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Subbed for info
Old 01-08-2013, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going the relay way with my swap. I purchased the relay harness kit from Frost; saves me having to repin and worry about connector sealing.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Where I'm confused is the relay mod verses the segment swap. From what I've read, yes you do email Bill at support@hptuners.com and ask for a segment swap. Folks are saying that's the easiest way to do it, but it seems simpler to me to just add a relay and tune the 60E tune.

I'm also not clear on if you need to add the pins and wiring for the 80E's VSS sensor when you do a segment swap.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

no need for the vss. just plug the 60e plug to the rear sensor. yes you just put in the relay you have to move one pin and remove 2, but before you do just go to what i said and swap to 80e. see what happens
Old 01-08-2013, 02:44 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not easier to add the relay and run without a segment swap. And doing it that way has sometimes caused issues, with the fact that the pcm thinks the gear ratios are one thing, but the 80E gear ratios are different. For that reason alone, I always do the segment swap. It's the best, and IMHO, also the simplest.

You will need to swap the wires in the round connector, as shown in your pic.

Your 60E does not have an input shaft speed sensor. Your 80E does, and the PCM needs that info. So you'll make that 2 wire harness, plug it into the front sensor on the left side of the 80E, and run those 2 wires to the PCM as shown in your pic. Be sure to "twist" that harness.

Send your 60E tune file, and also an 80E tune file WITH A MATCHING OS, to support@hptuners.com and they will do the segment swap for you. When you get it back, you must do a "write entire" flash to complete the process. After all of that, you'll likely want/need to adjust shift points and firmess, but that's all up to you.

Are you running on a custom or upgraded HPT OS?
Old 01-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
It's not easier to add the relay and run without a segment swap. And doing it that way has sometimes caused issues, with the fact that the pcm thinks the gear ratios are one thing, but the 80E gear ratios are different. For that reason alone, I always do the segment swap. It's the best, and IMHO, also the simplest.

You will need to swap the wires in the round connector, as shown in your pic.

Your 60E does not have an input shaft speed sensor. Your 80E does, and the PCM needs that info. So you'll make that 2 wire harness, plug it into the front sensor on the left side of the 80E, and run those 2 wires to the PCM as shown in your pic. Be sure to "twist" that harness.

Send your 60E tune file, and also an 80E tune file WITH A MATCHING OS, to support@hptuners.com and they will do the segment swap for you. When you get it back, you must do a "write entire" flash to complete the process. After all of that, you'll likely want/need to adjust shift points and firmess, but that's all up to you.

Are you running on a custom or upgraded HPT OS?
Yes, I've read about the gear ratio differences. This is from the relay mod thread:

Originally Posted by Atomic
Got my problem figured out, and since it deals directly with the relay method I'll throw it in here.

I read something on the hptuners forum about the speedo being off causing this type of error, so I double checked my vss pulses and corrected it and the speedo is dead-nuts on for what it should be with the tire height and gear ratios. However, there is still a ~150rpm slip when its "locked", but the math isnt showing that... Remembering I am still using the 60e tune, I checked the numbers with the 60es deeper OD and sure enough, that would make the "TCC Slip" equal to about 0. What this implies is the PCM has knowledge of the gear ratios in the transmissions and doesnt just use the speed sensors to calculate it.

Case in point;
I logged engine rpm, input shaft rpm, output shaft rpm, and tcc slip in a steady state highway situation. For this particular case these were the values:

Engine - 2212
Input - 2052
Output - 2953

So "TCC Slip" is defined as the difference between the engine rpm and input shaft rpm, so in this case it is measured as 2212-2052=160, which is exactly what HPT showed. But lets keep in mind where these numbers come from. The physical sensors are on the engine (crank sensor) and output shaft (vss sensor), so where does that input rpm number come from? Took me a while to figure out that it is a calculated value...based on the transmission ratios, and as far as the PCM knows im still using a 60e, not an 80e. So lets repeat the exercise for TCC Slip accounting for the correct ratios and knowledge that the physical sensors are accurate (engine and output).
[2212-(2953*.75)] = 0 That is to say the engine speed minus the trans output speed times the OD ratio I actually have gives me the true input rpm and now produces a TCC Slip value of 0 rpm. Excellent.

I am relieved to finally have an answer I am happy with, but disappointed there isnt a way to fix the problem without doing a segment swap as there is not access to the gears the PCM assumes you have. I dont want to do the segment swap because the torque converter unlocking at 0% throttle is extremely annoying. Secondly, if I am in a condition where the clutch is engaged, its at high speeds, so if I let off the gas I want the additional engine braking.

If you are particularly interested in seeing the TCC Slip value making a custom PID to get the *true* TCC slip is not hard, it would simply be:
[engine rpm] -[trans_output_shaft_rpm*actual_trans_ratio] = TCC Slip
However, if you wanted the slip in every gear, you would need to make 4 pids based on the 80e ratios for 1st through 4th (2.48, 1.48, 1, .75). The above case only works in 4th gear.
I was mainly concerned with this because I thought there was a legitimate hardware problem, which I didnt want cooking my clutches and ultimately destroying an expensive drivetrain.
Now, to answer your question about OS, I haven't done anything yet. I haven't even plugged in HPtuner's interface or downloaded the tuning software.

Where do I look for a matching 80E OS? On the HPtuners repo?

So, the segment swap is the way to go, and folks didn't want to do that because of torque converter lock up issues. So, they ran the 60E's factory tune with the relay mod. Now HPtuners let's you correct the torque converter lock up so the best route to go is segment swap. (Just thinking out loud here.)

So to make it so that the torque converter doesn't unlock you set the Low Speed TPS Lo & High Speed TPS Lo to 0% and change the 0% column in the Apply/Release Speed tables.

I found this picture in the link in the first post.

Name:  3EAD07F7-CFE6-4690-9E46-74824178007B-18472-0000089219CEDD17.jpg
Views: 6601
Size:  226.2 KB

From KySilverado's 80E thread:

Originally Posted by KySilverado
The 80E has 2 speed sensors in it. The 60E only one. You have to get it connected to the PCM. The connectors and pin outs is pretty well documents here. I won't go into that. I'll show you what I did for it.

Happened to have the old battery acid eaten wiring harness that came on my junkyard 6.0L when I did that swap. It happened to be an 80e harness.

I dug out the connector, wiring and PCM pins from the harness. I'll wrap these up in thier own protector and run them to the PCM. Main reason I did this is now I won't have to round up the PCM pins.

You'll connect the new sensor to PCM via PINS 22 (RED) and 23(Blue). Just as this 4l80e harness is wired.

I also removed the 4l80 style main connection from the old harness in case it fits in better than the 60E connector. I've seen you can buy these cheap on e-bay. I've not read that this is necessary but might install a little cleaner.

Circled the VSS sensor I'm talking about that has to be wired up. The other will be in its original location on the end of the transfer case.

I also want to note that connectors on these things are modular. I was able to dismantle the PCM connector to get the pins out easily and I also dismantled the VSS connector and swapped out the connector because a snap was broken on the old 6.0L VSS connector.
So I'm guessing I'll need 15 feet of 2 different colored wire? 18 gauge sound about right?
Old 01-08-2013, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

An 80e segment jumps out of lockup every time you go to 0% throttle. i dont know of any problems to.run into with the relay. also you turn off the slip codes and nothing will be affected by the ratio change.

Quick Reply: First time tuning. 4L80E swap tuning with HPtuners