Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

First time tuning. 4L80E swap tuning with HPtuners

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chevrolet all the way
An 80e segment jumps out of lockup every time you go to 0% throttle. i dont know of any problems to.run into with the relay. also you turn off the slip codes and nothing will be affected by the ratio change.
I believe this thread right here is saying that is a nonissue now.

Keeping converter locked on 4l80e at 0% Throttle - HP Tuners Bulletin Board

Apparently there can be an issue with the 60E tune controlling an 80E concerning the gear ratio differences.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea that is a non issue now. It has been fixed for almost a year I think. I know cause I was the guinea pig for chris.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm. nifty!

it wont cause a control issue. it will make the readings off for converter slip and if you have your slip code sensetive it could set slip codes, but it still works perfectly fine.

also im VERY curious what happens when you swap to 4l80e where i said. may be all you need to do. i already have the relay swap or i would try it
Old 01-08-2013, 04:20 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iregret
Yes, I've read about the gear ratio differences. This is from the relay mod thread:

Now, to answer your question about OS, I haven't done anything yet. I haven't even plugged in HPtuner's interface or downloaded the tuning software.

Where do I look for a matching 80E OS? On the HPtuners repo?

So, the segment swap is the way to go, and folks didn't want to do that because of torque converter lock up issues. So, they ran the 60E's factory tune with the relay mod. Now HPtuners let's you correct the torque converter lock up so the best route to go is segment swap. (Just thinking out loud here.)

So to make it so that the torque converter doesn't unlock you set the Low Speed TPS Lo & High Speed TPS Lo to 0% and change the 0% column in the Apply/Release Speed tables.

I found this picture in the link in the first post.

From KySilverado's 80E thread:

So I'm guessing I'll need 15 feet of 2 different colored wire? 18 gauge sound about right?
Yeah, that should all work. When you email support, also request the newest beta version. You'll need it to get those Minimum Throttle Release tables.

An 80e segment jumps out of lockup every time you go to 0% throttle.
This is no longer true. A while back, HPT addressed this issue, and added tables to control it. It's now just a matter of changing a couple of tables.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Charlie Murphy!

hmm. nifty!

it wont cause a control issue. it will make the readings off for converter slip and if you have your slip code sensetive it could set slip codes, but it still works perfectly fine.

also im VERY curious what happens when you swap to 4l80e where i said. may be all you need to do. i already have the relay swap or i would try it
So you're wondering what happens when you change the round connector (like the picture in post #1) but don't add the ISS wiring, THEN selecting the 60E->80E box?

I think there also might be some confusion when you said "just plug it into the 60E rear sensor". I'm 4wd, so I have a transfercase and plug into that instead.

Last edited by iregret; 01-08-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:25 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Where do I look for a matching 80E OS? On the HPtuners repo?

I forgot to answer that question. Here's a link to show you what you're looking for. Do a search for a matching OS in the HPT repository. If you don't find one, post up your OS and I'll see if I have one that matches for you. When you find one and download it, DO NOT LICENSE IT. You don't need to. Only license your own file that you pull from your own truck's PCM.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
I forgot to answer that question. Here's a link to show you what you're looking for. Do a search for a matching OS in the HPT repository. If you don't find one, post up your OS and I'll see if I have one that matches for you. When you find one and download it, DO NOT LICENSE IT. You don't need to. Only license your own file that you pull from your own truck's PCM.
Thanks man.

Also, I just realized that I keep mistakenly saying VSS instead of ISS.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you're wondering what happens when you change the round connector (like the picture in post #1) but don't add the VSS wiring, THEN selecting the 60E->80E box?

I think there also might be some confusion when you said "just plug it into the 60E rear sensor". I'm 4wd, so I have a transfercase and plug into that instead.
didnt read you are 4wd. so yeah do that lol. yeah i would imagine you have to swap the plug around first, but ive always wondered what that did.

and with the new knowledge that they fixed the jumping out of gear i like the segment swap better!
Old 01-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Charlie Murphy!

didnt read you are 4wd. so yeah do that lol. yeah i would imagine you have to swap the plug around first, but ive always wondered what that did.

and with the new knowledge that they fixed the jumping out of gear i like the segment swap better!
Yeah, I kind of neglected to mention the 4wd part. LOL So now I'm wondering about this:

you can do the relay mod and it doesnt need a segment swap. also try changing in trans>auto shift properties> general. swap 4l60e to 4l80e. if im not mistaken that will be all you need now
So if this is present in HPtuners, what is it for? Can I select that box and not run an ISS sensor?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:05 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Yeah, I kind of neglected to mention the 4wd part. LOL So now I'm wondering about this:

So if this is present in HPtuners, what is it for? Can I select that box and not run an ISS sensor?

Forget all of that. Just refer back to my original answer to your original question. You're starting to overthink it, and you're confusing yourself.

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71

You will need to swap the wires in the round connector, as shown in your pic.

Your 60E does not have an input shaft speed sensor. Your 80E does, and the PCM needs that info. So you'll make that 2 wire harness, plug it into the front sensor on the left side of the 80E, and run those 2 wires to the PCM as shown in your pic. Be sure to "twist" that harness.

Send your 60E tune file, and also an 80E tune file WITH A MATCHING OS, to support@hptuners.com and they will do the segment swap for you. When you get it back, you must do a "write entire" flash to complete the process. After all of that, you'll likely want/need to adjust shift points and firmess, but that's all up to you.

Quick Reply: First time tuning. 4L80E swap tuning with HPtuners