Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

EFILive RoadRunner Real Time vs. HPT Real Time Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFILive RoadRunner Real Time vs. HPT Real Time Tuning

Here is a comparison between EFILive's RoadRunner for Real-Time Tuning compared to HPT's RTT. Here you will be able to directly see the differences between the two and how far advanced the RoadRunner is compared to HPT's RTT.

http://www.moates.net/roadrunner/com...Comparison.pdf
Old 08-08-2006, 04:02 AM
11 Second Truck Club

yep. hats off to efilive and moates. my buddy has the setup back in jacksonville. he's still new to tuning but he's getting the hang of things. hopefully he can tweak out my truck with it when i get back since i'm running a mail order tune.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Worth every penny for EFIlive. HPT is a decent product for sure, but it just does not really compare to EFILive. Just my opinion.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So for the extra $400 that EFI costs, how much more HP/TQ can I expect? How much faster will it be to tune my tahoe? I can get alot of dyno time for $400.

How does the EFI PCM swap work? The link suggests leaving the OEM PCM in place and connecting to the EFI PCM. Does the EFI PCM stay in forever or is it just used during tuning. Seems strange driving around with zip-ties holding the PCM in place.

As far as pricing goes, the HPT price list indicates that the $649 will allow me to tune two cars each with RTT and 2bar. How many cars can I tune with the EFI $1047?
Old 08-11-2006, 06:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

So for the extra $400 that EFI costs, how much more HP/TQ can I expect? How much faster will it be to tune my tahoe? I can get alot of dyno time for $400.
its still up to the end user to get a good tune in as neither it nor hpt RTT do the work for you. There are guys that 6 or 8 months later are working on their tune still just because they can and thats not to say its a bad thing, those are the guys that find new things for others to try but if you have a bad drivability issue that you need to figure out RR'r can definitly give you more options since before you'd need to make changes to whatever minute parameters are in there and hope its what you needed....and each of those changes might take 1-2 minutes to apply...when your talking about touching on 100 tables thats hours of wasted time whereas with RR'r you can have someone drive while your moving tables up or down to see if they make a difference.

How does the EFI PCM swap work? The link suggests leaving the OEM PCM in place and connecting to the EFI PCM. Does the EFI PCM stay in forever or is it just used during tuning. Seems strange driving around with zip-ties holding the PCM in place.
either or really you can use the roadrunner computer forever since its considered a replacement or you could remove the stock computer, replace it with the RR'r drive & produce a tune your happy with, once your done save the tune, remove RR'r from the vehicle & reinstall the stock PCM and with your personal or commercial version of efilive flash in the program you created using RR'r

As far as pricing goes, the HPT price list indicates that the $649 will allow me to tune two cars each with RTT and 2bar. How many cars can I tune with the EFI $1047?
for $1047 it would be locked to the roadrunner pcm & you'd have no way to flash another pcm so wherever the roadrunner pcm goes the tune goes. If you'd want to flash your pcm with the program thats in the roadrunner you'd have to put up another $400 for the personal version and another $150 if you wanted to apply a 2 bar custom OS of any sort as far as I know.

Last edited by foff667; 08-11-2006 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by foff667
for $1047 it would be locked to the roadrunner pcm & you'd have no way to flash another pcm so wherever the roadrunner pcm goes the tune goes. If you'd want to flash your pcm with the program thats in the roadrunner you'd have to put up another $400 for the personal version and another $150 if you wanted to apply a 2 bar custom OS of any sort as far as I know.
I dont think so. You do get Flashscan included in the $1047 which will come with 2 PCM licences. After that, they are $99 per.

Thats the way I read it at least. Hopefully the OP will post again to clarify this.

Also, EFIlive has for a good while now offered AutoTune, which gets you pretty close right out of the box.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Eye-P
I dont think so. You do get Flashscan included in the $1047 which will come with 2 PCM licences. After that, they are $99 per.

Thats the way I read it at least. Hopefully the OP will post again to clarify this.

Also, EFIlive has for a good while now offered AutoTune, which gets you pretty close right out of the box.
Unfortunatly it doesnt come with flashscan for that price...the scan tool price was lowered to $249 which is where the $1047 price comes from as stated in the PDF file Chad just posted at the top of this thread
  • $249 Scan Tool License
  • $199 Roadrunner license
  • $599 Roadrunner Hardware

Total $1047

http://efiforum.iqd.co.nz/showthread...ght=Roadrunner
Old 08-11-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Veteran

LOL, this comparison is ******* stupid. When people say that this or that is not apples to apples, this is what they are talking about.

Both the RR and RTT is sweet as ****... It's just they are so competely different that it's almost pointless to compare.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sport Side
LOL, this comparison is ******* stupid. When people say that this or that is not apples to apples, this is what they are talking about.

Both the RR and RTT is sweet as ****... It's just they are so competely different that it's almost pointless to compare.

The comparison chart that Black02SS posted was so one sided that I thought it might have been something published by CNN!