Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

EFI Live - VE, IPW, and MAF tuning BlackGMC style...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I cant tune worth a crap. I did pay Justin (blackbear) for lifetime tuning though so I'll probably just have him do it, although I'm sure live tune would be much better. I've been having some serious KR issues supposedly secondary to an air leak, and I've got new intake manifold gaskets ready but havent had a chance to put them in since my window got bashed in. I did put in a new TB gasket with no luck.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I cant tune worth a crap. I did pay Justin (blackbear) for lifetime tuning though so I'll probably just have him do it, although I'm sure live tune would be much better. I've been having some serious KR issues supposedly secondary to an air leak, and I've got new intake manifold gaskets ready but havent had a chance to put them in since my window got bashed in. I did put in a new TB gasket with no luck.
x2!
Old 08-25-2009, 03:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
After reading that im glad I went with hptuners, much nicer and easier layout IMO.
I have both hpt and efi and I think efi is eaier, lol.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey, was wanting some help getting my tune sorted out. I've been doing the autoVE and got the fueling decent. Im having issues keeping the AFR steady at WOT though. I emailed Justin the logs and he seems to think my LC-1 is reading leaner than actual AFR because I have so many cells over 100%. But I think I'm just not hitting those cells when Im logging because I started off with a stock LQ4 tune plus 12.5% added to the VE table. How are you hitting so many 4000+ cells with 90+ MAP? Are you driving part throttle in 1st gear? For some reason my trans automatically shifts out of 1st gear even with the selector in 1st . Is there anything I can do in the tune to prevent the trans shifting 1-2 at part throttle?
Attached Files
File Type: efi
autoVE1.efi (146.7 KB, 77 views)
File Type: tun
AutoVE1.tun (477.8 KB, 109 views)
Old 03-31-2010, 07:52 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

What injectors are you running that you are tuning the Injector Offset table, every set of injectors has a GIVEN table for offset and there are other ways to tune for what you are describing. Injector values are ment to be set and left alone. If your injector values are correct then you shouldn't have to change them when tuning.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:59 AM
Admin

Originally Posted by dhpro
Hmmm...so here's a question:
Since my voltage bounces around when my efans engage (mostly when its real hot and both fans come on and especially when the lites are on), dropping maybe 1-2volts, can this app correct that OR will it adjust the duty cycle on the injectors to try and accommodate it?
maybe a dumb question, but I know next to nothing about tuning...just chasing gremlins!
Well in HPT there is a table just for this, its called. Cooling Fan Airflow
Idle> Idle Airflow> Cooling fan airflow.
To determine what amount of air you need to add you do a log logging base running airflow and monitor the airflow values when your fans kick on. If the airflow demand goes up .5 g/sec then that is what you add into the Cooling fan Airflow tap. By doing this it keeps your RPM from droping when the additional load is placed on the Alt. Thus keeping your voltage more consistant. All of this can be done for the AC as well.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:20 AM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
What injectors are you running that you are tuning the Injector Offset table, every set of injectors has a GIVEN table for offset and there are other ways to tune for what you are describing. Injector values are ment to be set and left alone. If your injector values are correct then you shouldn't have to change them when tuning.

Are you talking to me? If so i agree once the injectors are set they should be left alone, IMO they need to be adjusted for a given truck/car correctly first. We can argue back and forth on the way i adjusted them, but before i adjusted the IPW table I would get swings in my trims and wideband at various battery voltages, after tuning them the way i did my trims and wideband readings are more stable than before....
Old 03-31-2010, 10:44 AM
Admin

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Are you talking to me? If so i agree once the injectors are set they should be left alone, IMO they need to be adjusted for a given truck/car correctly first. We can argue back and forth on the way i adjusted them, but before i adjusted the IPW table I would get swings in my trims and wideband at various battery voltages, after tuning them the way i did my trims and wideband readings are more stable than before....
I dont doubt it helped, however it doesnt mean it was the original cause of the fueling inconsistancies. Not trying to be arguementive here just adding to the conversation. Lets face it, I can jack up my VE table then tune it out with my injector settings. Would it work? Ya however it takes a known constant and alters it. What injectors do you have?
Old 03-31-2010, 10:51 AM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
I dont doubt it helped, however it doesnt mean it was the original cause of the fueling inconsistancies. Not trying to be arguementive here just adding to the conversation. Lets face it, I can jack up my VE table then tune it out with my injector settings. Would it work? Ya however it takes a known constant and alters it. What injectors do you have?
I have stock Fbody injectors. The main reason i did it was when I set them to factory specs and tuned my VE table, the results were inconsistant.... After a while if figured out it was occuring when my 05+ efans would kick on and off, and it got worse when the AC was on, the voltage swings would go from 12.2-14.4.... so the IPW table is the one place i found that adds battery voltage into the airflow equations... so what i did was filter on a set of voltages which isolated 1 column in the IPW table and tuned my VE table. the results were consistant. next since my VE table was correct, i adjusted the IPW table at various voltages.

I know exactly what your saying, some injector settings are constants, some can be fine-tuned for a specific application.... flow rate being a constant, Injector Pulse width IMO are tunable...

If you have a better solution please elaborate...
Old 03-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Resident Retard

Btw, I am not trying to argue either, just simply stating what I did and what works for me. Like I mentioined up top everyone does things differently, some touch more tables than others and for good reason. Every truck/car is different and different combinations of parts do different things.

Quick Reply: EFI Live - VE, IPW, and MAF tuning BlackGMC style...