Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

4l80e tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 01:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l80e tuning question

Got a question about the performance mode in the pcm. Is there a way I can use this mode for, say street races that start from a slow roll. For instance, can I tune it in performance mode to hold 1st gear out longer at low speeds instead of shifting out so quick? I've already got my shift points a little more aggresive in it, but don't know how, if even possible, to hold out first longer using it.

Also, is there a way to make the downshifts faster using the tune or is this just the nature of the 80? At a slow 15 to 20mph roll, it really seems to be slow downshifting down to go.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes it can be done. Do you have a tow/haul switch in your truck already or are you going to run a new switch?

BTW, my 80e is kind of slow to downshift as well. The converter always flashes to its stall speed before it downshifts. So I would be interested to see if there is a fix
Old 06-14-2013, 04:10 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Absolutely you can, you can change all the shift points and pressures. As for the slow downshift you speak of, I really don't notice it on mine but at the same time mine is not stock at all so I don't know if that plays a role.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by oakley6575
Yes it can be done. Do you have a tow/haul switch in your truck already or are you going to run a new switch?

BTW, my 80e is kind of slow to downshift as well. The converter always flashes to its stall speed before it downshifts. So I would be interested to see if there is a fix
Yeah I have the tow/haul in mine, so I figure why not use it. My 2500 gets all of the work duty, so might as well get something out of that switch. Yeah, mine flashes as well then downshifts. Sort of puts me behind right from the start on slow rollers.

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Absolutely you can, you can change all the shift points and pressures. As for the slow downshift you speak of, I really don't notice it on mine but at the same time mine is not stock at all so I don't know if that plays a role.
I guess my next question would be.....how to I start to go about setting it up to hold first gear longer at a slow roll? And we're not going to count your 80e setup since its you're running a Rolls Royce of 80es and I'm rolling a pinto of 80es.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:37 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Go into the performance tabs and start raising your MPH at lower throttle settings. Post up your tune and I'll tweek it and post up the screen shot later this eve.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Go into the performance tabs and start raising your MPH at lower throttle settings. Post up your tune and I'll tweek it and post up the screen shot later this eve.
Man I really appreciate it! Here's my tune as it sits right now.
Attached Files
Old 06-14-2013, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea thats how mine is setup..
Each gear will hold out till 6000rpms at part throttle. and it will downshift into the lowest gear possible. its nice for playin on the highway cause it takes forever to downshift and then go.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Yea thats how mine is setup..
Each gear will hold out till 6000rpms at part throttle. and it will downshift into the lowest gear possible. its nice for playin on the highway cause it takes forever to downshift and then go.
So in performance mode, will I be upping the part throttle speed to my full throttle shift speed across the board? I'm guessing that will keep it from shifting out of the gear at a lower speed while rolling in 1st or 2nd?

What would I need my downshift speeds to be set to in performance mode?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok heres what you want to do..
Get a good log of your 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. MPH and RPM.

Say your 1-2 shift is at 60mph @ 6000Rpms

Your goin to go in your 1-2 part throttle shift table and Set performance mode up to ~55mph across the whole board..
2-1 downshift to 50mph or so. That way if your goin 50mph or under it will go to first gear.

2-3 shift is at 100mph@6000rpms
Set your 2-3mph part throttle to ~98mph.
3-2 downshift to 95mph or so.

Vola.
this coms invery handy if you spin and let out or feather it. Its not goin to up shift and then downshift again. Its goin to shift when it gets to your MPH set point.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Ok heres what you want to do..
Get a good log of your 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. MPH and RPM.

Say your 1-2 shift is at 60mph @ 6000Rpms

Your goin to go in your 1-2 part throttle shift table and Set performance mode up to ~55mph across the whole board..
2-1 downshift to 50mph or so. That way if your goin 50mph or under it will go to first gear.

2-3 shift is at 100mph@6000rpms
Set your 2-3mph part throttle to ~98mph.
3-2 downshift to 95mph or so.

Vola.
this coms invery handy if you spin and let out or feather it. Its not goin to up shift and then downshift again. Its goin to shift when it gets to your MPH set point.
Makes sense Nonnie! I'll put those in and give it a try on the way to lunch.

Quick Reply: 4l80e tuning question