Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

2005 4.8l engine ticking on acceleration any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exhaust manifold gaskets replaced and broken bolt fixed took it to mechanic shop today was told that it is not a lifter being that a litter would be heard at all times more than likely a rocker ARM on cylinder 1. Breafly check those out today seem to have some play side to side but no real movement
Old 03-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
How do you know which one is bad?
Did you have to take the exhaust manifold off the head, too? This scares me because the bolts always break.
sorry sir i lost the thread for a while. and i could tell it was coming from the passenger side, so i just pulled the passenger head and pulled all 8 lifters on the side, and the 4th one back was missing the roller and busted to pieces. also the rocker was loose, due to the lifter being shorter and not pushing the push rod fully. and yes, sadly you do have to take the manifold off, BUT on a good note, your taking the head off the motor, making it very easy to pull out the remaining broken bolt IF you break one. if you cant get it out, your local machine shop probably can. i pulled one myself, and had a machine shop do the other because it broke flush. they'll tig weld a piece onto it and pull it out. cost $25 bucks i think? i would recommend that before you attempt drilling it out yourself and potentially ruining your head. if they dont break get some new ones anyway. the one i had them pull out was the first one i tried putting back in and it was a tad rusty and snapped with ease. had to pull the head back off again. ruined my day. lol
Old 03-11-2012, 08:06 AM
Launching!

Oil pump might be going out.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
I have a 2005 4.8, and it has been doing this for 2 years. When it warms up fully (meaning not just when the thermostat opens but several miles further down the road), the lifter sound goes away, so I have not worried about it.

In the winter, it takes longer for the engine to warm up, so it ticks longer. In the summer, it goes away quicker. Sometimes, it does not do it.

Does this sound like yours, or was it all the time?
Mine is still doing this. A few minutes after the water gets to operating temperature, it goes away. It does not start until the water temperature hits 150 or so.

It is not getting better or worse, so I am leaving it alone for now.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

Mine is still doing this. It has been doing it for three or four years now . . .