Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

2005 4.8l engine ticking on acceleration any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 4.8l engine ticking on acceleration any suggestions

4.8 ticks on acceleration soqunds like lifters ticking any suggestions on a possble fix.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

oh man, mine did that for 7 months, then shattered a lifter. replaced the lifter and did it again. ended up having to replace the cam, the lobe was heat warped or somethin, kinda had a low center and raised edges, causing it to bust the roller on the lifter. first thing i would do is pull your valve covers, and see if any of your rockers feel loose or have alot of play compared to the others, like not enough tension from the spring. if you cant tell anything, pull the rockers, and see if you can turn any of the springs by hand, could have one collapsed or cracked or weak. takes about an hour with zero expierence. just need a 8mm and a 10mm socket. should just be coil pack rails, the one main plug to the coil packs on each side, spark plug wires, and valve covers. if everything check out you could be looking at a possible lifter, which if caught in time could prevent from needing a cam shaft like mine. if you do have a rocker arm with no tention and alot of play in it, and the springs still good, the lifter is probably already shot.

IN CASE IT IS A LIFTER, a new single lifter is like 10 bucks, head gasket 50, antifreeze around 20, gotta pull the intake and the head, i believe thats it? took me 2 days only workin on it 8am-4pm, zero expierence on a 2006 4.8 earlier last month.

IF ITS A SPRING, id go ahead and replace all 16 with ls6 springs. cost about 70 dollars.

good luck and i hope yours isnt a $1000 dollar issue like mine. lol
Old 02-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could also be as simple as an exhaust leak, is the exhaust all stock?
Old 02-17-2012, 01:11 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

try a tank of 93 octane gas to see if it gets rid of it
Old 02-17-2012, 06:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your exhaust manifolds.They are known for the bolts rusting and breaking off.My friend had the tick and that is what it was.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2006bowtie
oh man, mine did that for 7 months, then shattered a lifter.
I have a 2005 4.8, and it has been doing this for 2 years. When it warms up fully (meaning not just when the thermostat opens but several miles further down the road), the lifter sound goes away, so I have not worried about it.

In the winter, it takes longer for the engine to warm up, so it ticks longer. In the summer, it goes away quicker. Sometimes, it does not do it.

Does this sound like yours, or was it all the time?
Old 02-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2006bowtie
IN CASE IT IS A LIFTER, a new single lifter is like 10 bucks,
How do you know which one is bad?
head gasket 50, antifreeze around 20, gotta pull the intake and the head, i believe thats it? took me 2 days only workin on it 8am-4pm, zero expierence on a 2006 4.8 earlier last month.
Did you have to take the exhaust manifold off the head, too? This scares me because the bolts always break.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:39 AM

Ok I hope its not a lifter and will check the rockers when it get a chance

Running 93 octane in it now and no change.

Yes it has stock exhaust

It tick on acceleration and seems to go away while cruising then when you go to pass the sound
reappears. when in park and is revved sound is there and came be hear from under the truck

I've read somwhere about an o ring on the oil pump that could cause ticking in the top end . Does anyone know the symptoms of the broken o ring
Old 02-17-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, just check and see if you still have the bolts in your manifold.
Mine started ticking and i had ate a pushrod so i dropped the pan and put a new oring on the pickup tube to maybe help that. Put new pushrods and rockers on and a new noise come back. Ended up having 2 bolts broken in the head from the exhaust manifold.
Took the manifold off and got the broken bolts out and its back normal now. But now I have a leak on passenger side is starting.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
First, just check and see if you still have the bolts in your manifold.
Mine started ticking and i had ate a pushrod so i dropped the pan and put a new oring on the pickup tube to maybe help that. Put new pushrods and rockers on and a new noise come back. Ended up having 2 bolts broken in the head from the exhaust manifold.
Took the manifold off and got the broken bolts out and its back normal now. But now I have a leak on passenger side is starting.

Right on just checked the exhaust manifold bolts and one it broken on number 1 cylinder
What your oil pressure low before you change the o ring

Quick Reply: 2005 4.8l engine ticking on acceleration any suggestions