Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

2003 chevy silverado REduce Engine Power

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Skolman91
I changed the TAC Module in my truck, been hunting a Reduced Engine Power message off and on for about 6 yrs. Within the last 2 months it has gotten worse and going into REP about 3 times a week. I changed my TB, MAF and TAC Module, however I didn't know you had to have the TAC module reprogrammed and my old TAC is on its way back to the O'Reilly home office in Arkansas!!

I spoke with this company who said they can reprogram the TAC but would have to put the tune back to OEM. My truck is tuned (383 stroker with all the fix'ns) and I talked to my tuner and we agree that even though if this company deleted the performance my tuner could put it back in it. However, the truck would not run or run like crap and the reprogramming of the TAC would be compromised because of a buck'n, fart'n truck that has a stock tune with a Big Cam, Big stroke crank, Big Intake, Big TB, Big heads and a big attitude, Had to throw that last one in there!

So, I need an already programmed TAC to get my truck running, a used one from the Salvage yard, then I need to find a truck (same model, year, etc) so I can drive to the the dealer or this guy (with the old TAC installed), install my TAC, have him tune the new module, remove it, put the old TAC back in the "Loaner' truck and take my TAC home and install it into my truck.

What a pain in the dick!
Old 10-16-2019, 05:52 PM
12 Second Club

1FastBrick
I have no idea if the code is specific for the TAC module, no clue what that is or what it means.

I am running a Vic Jr intake and I stuffed all the wires underneath the intake to clean up the outside. A crimped, pinched, bent or otherwise damaged wire is possible. Let me ask you this, how many grounds on the truck? One on each head, one from the hood, one from the battery or two, any others?
I am also running a 90mm Gold Blade and using the X-Link to drive it.

Thanks for the help.

Chad
Old 10-16-2019, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Pull the codes next time it does it, there are a few different reasons it could go into reduced power like what 1fastbrick is hinting at..
Old 10-16-2019, 06:54 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by ss4chad
1FastBrick
I have no idea if the code is specific for the TAC module, no clue what that is or what it means.

I am running a Vic Jr intake and I stuffed all the wires underneath the intake to clean up the outside. A crimped, pinched, bent or otherwise damaged wire is possible. Let me ask you this, how many grounds on the truck? One on each head, one from the hood, one from the battery or two, any others?
I am also running a 90mm Gold Blade and using the X-Link to drive it.

Thanks for the help.

Chad
Is this NA or forced induction?

One from the hood goes to the firewall. Then from the firewall to the back of the block.

On the engine harness there are 2 grounds at the back of the block and head.

There is a ground from the battery to the bottom of the block.

There is a few more grounds here and there as well
Old 10-17-2019, 04:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by skolman91
Pull the codes next time it does it, there are a few different reasons it could go into reduced power like what 1fastbrick is hinting at..
It's in REP now, it idles at about 1300 and stays there, no throttle response just a constant RPM. I will see if I can get a scanner and pull the codes.
Thanks!

Chad
Old 10-17-2019, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Is this NA or forced induction?

One from the hood goes to the firewall. Then from the firewall to the back of the block.

On the engine harness there are 2 grounds at the back of the block and head.

There is a ground from the battery to the bottom of the block.

There is a few more grounds here and there as well
It's NA, I will search for these grounds, thanks man.

Ken