Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

02 Silverado 4.3 to 2000 lq4 6.0 swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Silverado 4.3 to 2000 lq4 6.0 swap

I have a 2002 Silverado with a 4.3. I just bought a 2000 Silverado with the lq4 6.0 and 4l80e. I’m wanting to swap the 4.3 for the 6.0. I’m wondering if I can use the under hood fuse box and pcm from the 6.0 truck and just plug in my plug from inside the cab to the fuse box and be good? I’ve read up some but it seems most swaps are having the v6 pcm flashed to v8 specs. I’m assuming that is because they didn’t get the pcm that came with the motor they are using. I have a complete donor truck so shouldn’t I be able to just swap everything over with the exception of the fuel lines and I think power steering lines???
this is my first swap so any information will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-20-2023, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Yes, swap over the fuse block and ECU of the 6.0. You *can use the 0411-style V6 ECU if you wanted, but your 6.0 is already programmed for everything, just do VATS delete and get the rear ratio correct, if required.

The alternator and PS pump should swap. The 6.0 has the extra return on the PS pump for hydroboost. You can just plug that off.

Swap radiator if you want the wider one? Otherwise keep your narrow V6 radiator.

Transmission crossmember requires a small modification for the 4L80e. If your truck is an extended cab, just get a yoke to match the spline count of the 80e. On my extended cab the center carrier slip yoke allowed for the longer transmission; I didn't have to shorten the driveshaft.
Old 02-20-2023, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for that information. I have a telescopic two piece drive shaft with a carrier bearing so I’m thinking I will only have to change the yoke to fit the 80e. In that case I have the drive shaft from the donor truck so I should be good there. My truck is bagged to lay frame on 24 inch wheels
im not sure what you mean by vats delete so if you can explain that for me? I do know that I will need to make sure that the wheel size and gear ratio are correct in the computer done by a fancy scanner that I can’t afford lol but I got a guy. I just have to get it running so I can take it to him.
also with the fuse box, will my factory plug for inside the cab work with the donor fuse box so all my gage’s work? And will my dashboard read the mileage from the donor truck since I am changing the pcm? I know the vin number will be different from what is on the truck just wondering about the mileage because the donor truck has less miles than my truck.
thanks again for your time.
Old 02-20-2023, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by gearheadlinz
Thank you for that information. I have a telescopic two piece drive shaft with a carrier bearing so I’m thinking I will only have to change the yoke to fit the 80e. In that case I have the drive shaft from the donor truck so I should be good there. My truck is bagged to lay frame on 24 inch wheels
im not sure what you mean by vats delete so if you can explain that for me? VATS is the security system that needs to be disabled for the engine to start. A "reflash" of your ECU will take care of that.

I do know that I will need to make sure that the wheel size and gear ratio are correct in the computer done by a fancy scanner that I can’t afford lol but I got a guy. I just have to get it running so I can take it to him. Give tire size/ratio to the person doing the "reflash" so your speedometer is accurate.
also with the fuse box, will my factory plug for inside the cab work with the donor fuse box so all my gage’s work? Yes And will my dashboard read the mileage from the donor truck since I am changing the pcm? The mileage is stored on your cluster, so it will stay the same.

I know the vin number will be different from what is on the truck just wondering about the mileage because the donor truck has less miles than my truck. Give your VIN to the person doing the ECU "reflash". It can be saved on the swapped ECU.
thanks again for your time.
I don't know anything about bagged trucks, so can't help you there. I hope the above helps though.
Old 02-20-2023, 11:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The wider radiator will allow you to easily put factory e-fans in it when you do the swap or later. And the mileage is stored in the cluster, not the PCM.