THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Whats up fellas...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Whats up fellas...

I know I have been a bit off the radar... Just started moving into our new place this afternoon. Looooong road but I'm glad it may be coming to an end... (or just getting started?)

Anyway, this place hasnt been lived in for 18months, and is on a water well. While we were unloading the truck I went through and turned on all the faucets and let them run for 15-20 minutes. They spit and **** out the normal junk, no biggie... I let them clean up and shut them off, went to the bathroom and closed the stopper on the master bathroom tub to let it fill up. Its jetted and hasnt had water through it in a while. We let it fill up, and turned on the jets, they blew big boogers all over the side of the tub hahaha. I figured on this since it had sat. Just dust and probably some mildew, I'll run some bleach through it and clean the pump out etc... no biggie...

My bit of concern comes with the well. I anticipated upgrading the filter system thats on it... I'm sure most of the iron and crud I saw in the tub tonight (before the jets poo'd all over it) came from it sitting and building up some sediment, I'll change the filters and see how it works then. My wife is freaked because she's blonde and her hair will turn orange and her washer will be full of sediment and our whites will be orange as well... valid gripes I guess...

Anyway, thats enough from my windbag ***... what kind of filtration system do you well water users use and what works best for the iron problem???
Old 02-19-2012, 10:42 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No filters at all here, but glacier waters feed our well.

I'd guess that different regions will have different needs. Have you checked with others in your neighborhood, or county, to see what they are running?
Old 02-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

They all say they don't need anything but a standard filter system. I have one now but it's about as simple as you can get. My well is about 400-420 ft deep and all the others are less than 300. I know what's in the ground around here lol. Usually people have problems with sulfur, but it doesn't seem I have that, just some iron.

Maybe after everything is used for a while I'll be in better shape. I know I don't want to go drop a bunch of cash on a big computerized filtration system... I honestly don't think I need it.

And shove it up your glacier water *** that has got to be the best drinking water on the planet
Old 02-19-2012, 10:54 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

We just bottle it right out of the tap, and sell it to you guys!!

But I'd bet that your water will clean up in a week or so if you use it alot. How old is the house, and what are the water pipes made out of? Are they old iron pipes, copper pipes, or the new plastic stuff?
Old 02-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

House is only about 8yrs old, and just had all the floors redone and walls re textured and fresh paint. The piping is all PVC. I'm going to drain the water heater next time I'm there and see what I get because it seemed to be worse on hot than just cold. There's probably just a bunch of sediment in everything.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:12 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Yeah, sitting around unused for so long is the real issue I'm sure. Sounds like you've got a solid plan.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So when exactly do you sleep these days?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:30 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

WTF is sleep??

I've averaged about 75-80hrs a week wince I started with these people. I'm not complaining though. Just wish I could keep it under 70 and keep Uncle Sam out of it. I've been on call this weekend, made 5 callouts swapped a motor in an S10, started moving, took the wife to dinner just to remind me what she looks like, we've been meeting and passing at the house for the past two weeks. Just a busy SOB in general I guess. It'll slow down eventually, and when it does, all this running around like crazy people will pay off... Errr, at least that's the plan.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stew let me know if you need some info. Eric installed filter systems in our home.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:51 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1st congrats on your new pad Ben!!!

Yes, def. flush and reflush your system, it will take a few days to a week or two to remove the sediment . Its just laying in the pipe from inactivity, and will take a while to flush out. Make sure to take the screens off the faucets periodically as they will clog, so will your shower head.

PVC is great though, as the sediment wont attach like it does to galvanized pipe.
I reccommend a simple inline charcoal canister filter. Very easy to plumb in line.

If this doesnt help, then you may need a softener system, the salt will remove rust.

First if you can, try adding some lime away in your supply line, then flush every thing well. Also drain and refill the hot water heater as it will likely have sediment in the tank that will need flushed.

Tell the wife dont worry, her hair wont turn orange

Quick Reply: Whats up fellas...