THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

TV gurus, help me out a little bit.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
I would have been fine with the std.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reviews I read are more bold colors and blacker blacks like plasma, brighter than LCD, and uses half the power as LCD. Only 1.2" thick and that is in the center. On the edges is as thin as the front glass and tapers back to the 1.2".
I would have been fine with the std. I just got sucked into it at the store and was tired of looking and said f-it, ill take that one LOL.
In the future, by weary of how things look on the showroom floor. I know FOR A FACT that some companies will increase the brightness on some of their higher models and lower it on cheaper models. Flat panel tvs can look 10x better or worse depending on their color settings, and many stores with use that to their advantage to try and upsell the nicer tvs.

Either way, the new LED LCds are pretty sweet. They're certainly great TVs and they're cheap to operate too which is nice.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Tribe Shaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomHero
In the future, by weary of how things look on the showroom floor. I know FOR A FACT that some companies will increase the brightness on some of their higher models and lower it on cheaper models. Flat panel tvs can look 10x better or worse depending on their color settings, and many stores with use that to their advantage to try and upsell the nicer tvs.

Either way, the new LED LCds are pretty sweet. They're certainly great TVs and they're cheap to operate too which is nice.

that is true.
i have helped set up a few home theators and what we took out of the box sure did not have the picture that was on the display model at the store.

started off at 60hz then a jump to 120hz now we have 240hz models hitting the stores.
i like mine as a computer monitor and for my game systems, 720p looks pretty damn good to me.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:44 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The reviews I read are more bold colors and blacker blacks like plasma, brighter than LCD, and uses half the power as LCD. Only 1.2" thick and that is in the center. On the edges is as thin as the front glass and tapers back to the 1.2".
I would have been fine with the std. I just got sucked into it at the store and was tired of looking and said f-it, ill take that one LOL.

Congrats man!! Samsung is a great brand, I have two of them, a 42" and a 52" on in the living room and they both work great! I watch "Planet Earth" in BlueRay late at night if I can't go to sleep and it still amazes me to this day how freaking clear these TV's are!
I think you ended up with one of the better ones out there right now!
Old 08-23-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Congrats man!! Samsung is a great brand, I have two of them, a 42" and a 52" on in the living room and they both work great! I watch "Planet Earth" in BlueRay late at night if I can't go to sleep and it still amazes me to this day how freaking clear these TV's are!
I think you ended up with one of the better ones out there right now!
Thanks. I think i'll be pleased once I get it set up.

I just think some of the guys are all butt hurt that mine is better than theirs.
My tv is better than yours and I don't really even appreciate it!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

In all seriousness, thanks. There is a lot of good info in this thread. I got the overkill unit set up last night and I tell you what; these new tv's are just as big of piece of junk as the old tube tv's. All I see is snow. So I guess you have to pay for cable or dish just like the old one's.

Currently, i'm sitting around waiting on that damn cable man!