THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Tonneau cover or toolbox in a midget bed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tonneau cover or toolbox in a midget bed?

I love my new truck but it has the midget bed and cant decide which way to go.

Ive got a weatehrguard chest toolbox that is in great condition that I could have modified on the bottom to clear the fender wells. I love the fact that I could keep carrying all the crap I like to and its the cheaper option. BUT my bed becomes even shorter and my fourwheeler will barely fit on the tailgate. By barely I mean by an inch the tire will be on the tailgate.

My other option is going with a Bakflip F1 and a plastic chest to put my toolsets, chains, boomers etc in under the cover. I really like this option because I will basically have a lockable "trunk" to put stuff in. When I need to haul something bigger I can just fold the cover up and pull the plastic chest out. Im just not sure how well my tools and stuff will be protected from teh elements. They will be under the cover and in a plastic chest along with being int eh actual organizer box.

Im not really worried about the cost, I just cant decide which way would be the most useful.

Ive got trailers to haul something big if Ive really got to and I plan on building a 5x10 utility trailer to haul my fourwheeler and deer lease crap but Id rather not have to latch onto a trailer every time I want to haul something.

So basically I like my current toolbox and the way it functions but I like the idea of having a lockable bed to put stuff in for when we travel.

Cover would cost me 850, modifying the box would be ~150. If I do the cover I could sell my box for 400ish. There again though, Im not really worried about the money so much as making the right decision for utility.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really love my roll n lock, and it has 3 locked positions. I bought it used on CL for $300
Old 06-13-2012, 09:55 PM

The canister style covers are nice but they take up about 10" at the front and I might as well just throw my toolbox in if Im going to lose that much space. And Id have to worry about my fourwheeler banging it up. Its either a folding cover or use my current toolbox.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

naw, it is more like 6" on mine, I can still fit a quad and **** the tailgate....and I am a crew cab with that small *** bed

I can measure it for ya if you would like.

I was the same way at first, but my cousin is a contractor and has had one on his since 06, and never had an issue, so he convinced me. He's a huge hunter and usually leaves his trailer and just tosses it in the bed. He is in and out of the bed all day on roofing, covered patios, fencing and etc.

Just food for though for another option
Old 06-13-2012, 10:14 PM

You must haul a small 4wheeler, mine is 76" long end to end. All the canister style covers I was interested in had 9-12" canisters.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

iv been thinking about switching to a bak-flip myself cody. You've seen my truck with the full size tool box in the bed, it sucks. I like the idea of being able to lock up my hunting gear when I stop to eat, or fishing gear when its parked at the dock. Now that I live in the Permian Basin my truck is going to be sitting ALOT when I'm out in the company truck, I want any extra security.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
You must haul a small 4wheeler, mine is 76" long end to end. All the canister style covers I was interested in had 9-12" canisters.
2004 honda rancher 400, not sure what you consider large or small...I can also provide pics for references too
Old 06-13-2012, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just measured, 10", just didn't seem so long when I installed it and just looking at it.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

someone just posted a thread about the backflip F1 (iirc)
Old 06-14-2012, 06:41 AM
TECH Addict

I always had tool boxes, but when I had my crew cab with that 5'8" bed, I opted to use the GM under-seat storage. I had to reduce a little of the crap I previously carried in my tool box, but it was totally worth it. Never had to worry about someone breaking into my toolbox. And nothing was taking up the limited real estate in the bed.

Quick Reply: Tonneau cover or toolbox in a midget bed?