THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

now this is exciting. going to build a nice garage

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
What, no AC???
Ya, that's a must here in hell. I added AC/heat to my garage, and it makes a difference. There's nothing like laying on a cool concrete floor in the summer. I just need more/better insulation.

When I was in the HVAC world we would do garages similar to what you're doing parish (tv,bathroom, fridge, phone, office). I'd ask the home owner what kind of vehicles/projects they work on, and most of the time it was built just so they could get away from thier wife. If I didn't know better I'd say you're doing the same thing. One guy even had a loft in his where he had a bedroom all setup.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:45 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is the chassis dyno going to be? Or is that why you are waiting to finish pouring the floor?
Old 03-29-2008, 10:08 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think we may have overloaded my dads little tractor poor thing. this trip to the dump was mostly tree stumps. that one on the tractor is cut in half. stumps are heavy. 5300lbs at the dump.

got prices for trusses at menards awhile back. now that i am about to order them i called around. builders supply is $100 per truss cheaper. $260 vs $160. thats for 32 trusses. woohoo

also picked up a nail gun today. it is bad ***. cordless, propane powered. says it will shoot over 1000 nails on one $6 propane tube.

Last edited by parish8; 03-29-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:11 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Ya, that's a must here in hell. I added AC/heat to my garage, and it makes a difference. There's nothing like laying on a cool concrete floor in the summer. I just need more/better insulation.

When I was in the HVAC world we would do garages similar to what you're doing parish (tv,bathroom, fridge, phone, office). I'd ask the home owner what kind of vehicles/projects they work on, and most of the time it was built just so they could get away from thier wife. If I didn't know better I'd say you're doing the same thing. One guy even had a loft in his where he had a bedroom all setup.
it is going to have a 900sqft loft in it. not sure what we are going to do with that. i will be spending more money than i have to just get the shell up but eventualy it will be insanely nice in there.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:13 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Where is the chassis dyno going to be? Or is that why you are waiting to finish pouring the floor?
if i thougt i could get away with it i might try it but i have a good hook up localy on dyno use. there are at least 4 dynos around here.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:14 PM
single digit dreamer

took awhile to get my footing guy back and then when he got here he did a pretty crappy job. at least it is done and i can start building. in a couple of days i will rip the forms off and spread that pile of dirt around. then start working on the walls

http://www.neufamily.org/images/garagegallery/

Old 04-23-2008, 08:35 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lookin awesome man!
Old 04-23-2008, 09:10 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking really good Jim, congrats on the ground breaking! Thanks for the documentation as well it's really pretty cool! I wish we had room like that out here in LaLa land...must me nice!!
Old 05-03-2008, 05:53 PM
single digit dreamer

got the footings cleaned up a little. got a little more dirt but still need more. got the trusses ordered, should be here in 2 weeks. and then today i picked up a pile of lumber. more than i should have in one trip i think. what is crazy is that entire trailer of wood was well under $2000, less than a set of heads.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, you know you are a Gear Head when you compare the cost of lumber to new Heads

Quick Reply: now this is exciting. going to build a nice garage