THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Need Help Please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Import Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Please!!!

if you havent read my other thread about me getting a new job read through it please and it will explain alot.

so i went in to put in my 2 weeks cause i got another job offer... which was actually a disappointing dollar more than where im working now, i thought i was gonna be more. but benefits are decent, and its right next to home

so before i left my boss said can i make a counter offer... i said sure but i dont know if ill be able to except.... he offered me an extra $15,000 lol. WTF DO I DO.

im only 22 yrs old right now so i have no clue what would be the good decision... im looking for some wisdom and i know theres some guys here that are 30+ please help guys

dunno if the is relevant but i dont care about disclosing what i make

Current Job: 15/hour
New Job: 16/hour (which i must say was lower than i though)
New Offer with Current Job: 22/hour

if i accept this offer does this put me in a week position?

thank you guys so much for any advice.... this is next to proposing to my wife when i was 20 the biggest decision ive made in my life
Old 08-03-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly if you are happy where you are than stay for the extra cash
Old 08-03-2007, 12:55 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lets see. the 16 hour is nicecause its closer to home which is cheaper for gas and parking.......

old job has senoirity plus is now more money. weigh it like this

gas it takes to drive to each job
parking for each job
time it takes to sit in traffic
hours of work
expenses provided?
how leiser is the new company?

but a $6 difference is alot ot make up to be honest...... if it was within 2 bucks the closer job would work for sure
Old 08-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Actually that is a common practice in the corporate world. I have actually done that exact same thing to my bosses. I told them I was offered another position and then they matched the offer + 5%. IMO it does not put you in a weak position, however I would ask for the $ increase and a job title change.... That way next year you can apply for another job outside your company and quailify for a higher position. Make sure you get the counter offer in writing or something or get HR approval before doing anything, cause words are just words..... Having it in writting is somethign different.

Have you accepted the other offer yet?

BTW I have been in the corporate world for about 5 years, doing little tactics like this have increased my base salary ~35%..... Go where the money is....
Old 08-03-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

A lot has to do with if you are happy where you are at. If you like your job then I don't see a problem with staying. If you are not happy however more money is not going to fix anything. I believe that a very large percentage of people who decide to stay at a job only for the pay increase end up leaving within 6 months. You can also let the new place you are looking at know what offer you have on the table and if they really want to hire you then they will match or counter offer. The one thing you have to remember is it is just business nothing personal and your happiness is the most important.

I am starting a new job myself on Monday and today is my last day and this job so I have spent a fair amount of time thinking about this stuff recently.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:59 PM
Import Moderator

yes nothing is official... i told him to get me the $22 then come see me.. if its a dollar less, dont bother

im sorry this is probably really an obvious decision, im still just in shock that he offered me that much more
Old 08-03-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have a degree in drafting or engineering or anything?
Old 08-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Import Moderator

i went to a 2yr tech school for drafting and 3 yrs of votec school for drafting in high school... i only have like a yr 1/2 job exp though. the place i work isnt the best in the world but at the same time... its work not play
Old 08-03-2007, 01:10 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

IMO if they offer you a raise then stay for another 1.5 years that way you will have 3 years experience then move on to somewhere else for more $$$$. But if you do take the other job, make sure you plan on staying there for several years. "Job-Hoping" every couple of years looks bad on a resume and people will be reluctant to hire you... Just my .02....
Old 08-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Import Moderator

ya i think your right... i think if he CAN get it which i am still doubting i will stay... thats alot of money for me... thats liek a 50% increase