THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

installing a cam questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default installing a cam questions

ok im not about to do it, i'm waiting on my income tax money till i make up my mind on my next mod, BUT if i was to install a cam is there anything that can go wrong? timing issues? ect. is there a specific way to install a cam? also how the heck do you change springs with the heads still on the motor? or would i need to take the heads off and change springs and push rods???
Old 01-07-2009, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02gmcbandit
ok im not about to do it, i'm waiting on my income tax money till i make up my mind on my next mod, BUT if i was to install a cam is there anything that can go wrong? timing issues? ect. is there a specific way to install a cam? also how the heck do you change springs with the heads still on the motor? or would i need to take the heads off and change springs and push rods???
to change the springs youl need an air fitting that screws into the spark plug hole. with your compressor it will hold the valves up. Other method is to rotate the crank until the piston is at TDC. but you have to do this with every cylinder. As for problems and tips... Get someone who has done it before to help you. Its not hard, just time consuming. I bought 5/16 wood dowel rods from home depot to hold the lifters up while I swapped out the cam. make sure the cam is degreed right. don't drop a valve lock. buy hardened 7.4 push rods. And you will need a tune for sure.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

read over than, i used that for when i did my cam, buy extra keepers cuz more than likely u will lose one...there are a few different valve spring compressors out there just personal preference and budget...