THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Finally got a new tool box!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Finally got a new tool box!!

Well i have been wanting a new tool box for awhile now, my old one was wore out and out of space. Sears was having some pretty good sales on thier Ball-Bearing boxes so I went and picked up a couple of them The bottom ones they had on sale were red and black, but i wanted all black,
to match the middle 3 drawer ones i bought. The bottom ones are thier middle grade ball bearing ones with the stiffer case. The middle ones are the griplatch ball bearing ones.. Both have similar slides and are decently sturdy.

This is what i had before

This is what the new ones looked like when i bought them.

So i broke out the spray gun and shot a couple coats of gloss black rustoleum. I diluted it with ~50% mineral spirits.. If yall have never shot rustoleum paint dilluted before, it works pretty damn good because it self levels, just remember it is thin so it will run quick. The bottom 2 cabinets were red and black and the 2 top pieces were black.

Next i did not like how loose the draw slides were.. They wiggled alot, so i fixed that with some pop-rivots... It really tightened things up, the hosed everything down with White Lithum grease... They open and close super smooth now!!

Here is where the pop rivots go, the box and drawer slides allready have holes for them so it was rather easy.

back of slides

pop rivot gun

front of slides

finished pop rivout

drawer spots

Next i added some draw liners, the best ones i found were at NorthernTools. They had the best, the sears ones were crappy. Crappy pic, i did not get through smoothing out the liner, but you get the point.

Next i am gonna order some extra drawer slides, i looked them up and they are only ~$8 each... As you can see in the pics below each of the larger drawers has spots for the extra slides. I tried it out by taking off some of the slides from another drawer and it worked great, so i am gonna order some extras.

Finished product, I am waiting for another sale before buying a top box, sooo my old one is gonna have to sit up there for a little bit... I had some stickers laying around so naturally the boxes got tagged.

While i was at sears, i bought the biggest set of wrenches they had, I allready have a nice set of wrenches but i was missing really small ones and really big ones, so it was cheaper just to buy the huge set they had. The organizer i bought can't fit them all so some of the bigger wrenches are in another drawer.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice
Old 01-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you see in to the top box?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your first tool box, is what my laptop is sitting on right now as I type this!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I think those are the same boxes I have. I'll have to look at doing that pop-rivet mod to mine.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Can you see in to the top box?
I gotta stand on my toes to see in the top drawers, so i am thinking about getting a little shorter top box...

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
I think those are the same boxes I have. I'll have to look at doing that pop-rivet mod to mine.
Ya you should it really helped especially with the lithum grease.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

That's a nice setup for the house!!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually now that I think about it, my top box is different. It's taller and the top raises up similar to your red one.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:47 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Nice set up.

Its Northern Tool by the way.....not Northern Tools.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I need to check mine out and see if I can do the pop rivet deal, did yours have the ball-bearing tag on it like mine?

Its too damn cold to go out in the garage and look to see if mine has the same slides as yours. My skinny drawers are fine but the deeper ones with all my heavy *** **** deflects a little when operating them.

Quick Reply: Finally got a new tool box!!