THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Does everyone have a turbo/supercharger??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does everyone have a turbo/supercharger??

Lol, I was talking to a friend the other day who also frequents the site...seems like there's "nothing left to figure out" anymore! I look in the new posts section and every post is about a turbo or supercharger or both! Is anyone else discouraged by this fact? It's like you have to have mad money to compete anymore lol. Gone are the days of the "cammed-bolt on 5.3" lol.

I found a thread from 2002 the other day on here in which parish of all people was asking "how much power can the 5.3 hold?" LMAO and we all know that he figured that out.

Just wondering if anyone else was discouraged by the fact that "it's all been done" and to be different you have to be able to afford a $10k bareblock like flaco of someone lol! No harm meant just wondering!
Old 06-05-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SlowTruk
Lol, I was talking to a friend the other day who also frequents the site...seems like there's "nothing left to figure out" anymore! I look in the new posts section and every post is about a turbo or supercharger or both! Is anyone else discouraged by this fact? It's like you have to have mad money to compete anymore lol. Gone are the days of the "cammed-bolt on 5.3" lol.

I found a thread from 2002 the other day on here in which parish of all people was asking "how much power can the 5.3 hold?" LMAO and we all know that he figured that out.

Just wondering if anyone else was discouraged by the fact that "it's all been done" and to be different you have to be able to afford a $10k bareblock like flaco of someone lol! No harm meant just wondering!
It seems like now a days people are trying to push the limits of the stock 5.3. . . .
Old 06-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

There are several guys with a cam and bolt ons that run low 12s. I am certain some are in the 11s as well. With modern fuel injection and spark control, its easy to make huge power out of relatively small displacement under boost. That's really the only reason NA stuff isn't so big anymore. FI gives you better fuel economy and easier power. NA vehicles are much more fun to drive though, IMO...

"Horsepower costs money, how fast do you want to go?" -Smokey Yunick
Old 06-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree. Seems like you need tons of money these days, plus basically evrything has been figured out and done. That is why i always have built my truck for me and not to be the fastest nor the coolest.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

I still believe more people are still naturally aspirated than forced induction.....but I still agree that its a money game. I went Turbo to be different and unique around my area.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

I think most guys on here are all about the dollar per hp factor. You can spend 2-3k in a head/cam/ bolt on 6.0l and be fast. Or spend the same amount on a turboed stock cam 5.3 and probably make the same power and be just as fast on the street.

All I have is headers/CAI/tune/100 shot and im side by side/beating H/C 5.3 in a truck 1500lbs lighter than me.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Dont get me wrong- barely anyone is F/I in my area, hell, most trucks are flowmastered out and that's it. I guess when you think about that-there's still a place for cammed/bolt on trucks. Once my stall and cam are in I'll be faster than 95% of anything I've seen around here-except the very few big boys.

I just get a little discouraged when I'm still asking about my first cam and most others are worrying about running out of fuel or turbo lag lol. But I'll be there one day
Old 06-05-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

It may seem that way with the availability of the kits and interest from the trucking community.
I guess my thing is I have always wanted a turbo system since my first car. It just works out now with my truck not being my DD. I love the fact that a lot of ppl are FI because it helps me learn when it comes to doing it myself. I don't do things to Impress any one, just enjoy learning and doing. I travel all over the US and hardly see custom silverados
Old 06-05-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

i got a turbo for sale if u wanna join the group!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
Old 06-05-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have had a cam sitting around for 4 years. Im still trying to save money to put it in along with the other things that should be done at the same time. I want to do it right. unfortunately Im already building my third tranny

I want to build my 5.3 with heads, cam etc. but will not go forced induction on this one.

Quick Reply: Does everyone have a turbo/supercharger??