THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

In Cancun, BORED

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In Cancun, BORED

Well Tropical storm Alex is bearing down on the resort I'm at, and its doing nothing but raining. I've had about all the inclusive food and liquor I can stand.

Monday we are supposed to go to chichen itzu (Mayan Ruins) and thatll be cool. But for now-Rain. Should be into the gulf by sunday night headed towards my beloved Texas.....

If its sunshining where you are at have a cold beer for me....
Old 06-26-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1LOW4X4
If its sunshining where you are at have a cold beer for me....
I know how you feel. about 8 years ago I finally got to go to the beach in Virginia, as soon as we got there all the way from Illinois there was a hurricane coming so we had to turn around and go home. lol

It's hot as hell here. Too hot to do much outside. I'll definitely have a beer for you. . . or two. If it was all inclusive liquor, I'd be so smashed I wouldn't know what the weather was like.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

THAT SUCKS BRO BUT ENJOY AND GET WASTED....chichen itzu is badass my parents had a has about 1.5 hrs from playa de carman and its was sweet out there.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have fun at the ruins, or try to at least lol, when me and my girlfriend saw Dzibanché and Kohunlich it was pouring rain. We joked that at least we got to experience rainforest type rain when we were in the rainforest. The pyramids are really pretty cool though, definately climb them to the top, how many times do you get to check 'em out ya know? Oh, one thing their steps aren't exactly designed to todays standards. Climbing to the top is a bit more like climbing a rocky cliffside, they're a lil steep lol. Have fun and remember that the rain will pass...
Old 06-27-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We went to Xcaret last year. It's mostly a water park. They have man made river caves that you can float in . . .

Year before that we did the zip line tours, and the jet boat rides in an old rock quarry. The jet boat was an aluminum boat that had a LPG injected 502 65-75mph in 4-6" of water . . lots of fun.

This was south of Cancun, closer to Playa Del Carmen

Head south for a day and take the ferry ride to Cozumel for the day if the seas aren't too rough.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not much on taking vacation where I'm not hunting, but that sounds like a pretty good time.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:11 PM
The House is Rockin'

its been raining here all day, sucks! id be pissed if i was on vaction with that kinda weather. sounds like its gonna be fun to check out the ruins tho.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I recomend deluxe lounge close to coco bongo they have lots of freindly women there
Old 06-28-2010, 08:36 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Take some pics and post them up here!
Old 06-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Banned

Learned a lot today. Went to Chichen Itza, one of the most famous of the Mayan Ruins. Left resort at 9am, got there at 2pm, had 3 hours to see the ruins. It started a monsoon as soon as we got there, so we were all soaked, and only had about 45 minutes to roam around instead of our promised 3 hours, so we only got to see like 3 buildings. VERY DISAPPOINTED. For me, this was probably a once in a lifetime event. And worse, they had all the ruins roped off, so you couldnt climb them, which is what I really wanted to do. Preservation was their excuse, which I agree its the only way.

The Mayans were a very advanced people, and very interesting. People mainly associate them with human sacrifice and movies such as 2012 and apocalypto...but those are so far off. March 21, 2012 is simply the end of a cycle of life, and a beginning of a new one. Not the end of the world and what people make it out to be. Mayans practiced self-sacrifice, meaning they drew a few drops of blood from themselves to offer to the Gods, they didnt practice Human sacrifice until the invasion and takeover by the Toltecs, who brought with them the practice.

They played a ball game twice each year, where 2 teams had to hit a heavy rubber ball from the hip, up to a ring hanging off the wall. It looks very hard, being that all the mayans were like 4 ft tall, and the ring is about 20-25ft off the ground. Being that it was so hard, the game was ended as soon as the captain of one team made the shot. The winning captain was beheaded (this was an honor to go to the place of the Gods). Crazy to our way of thinking.
link to the ring picture http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ch...za_stadium.jpg

Also as you may know there calenders and math were excellent, with there year beeing only like 27 seconds off from what we now know to be the true year. Its crazy how accurate they were with only thye simplest of tools.

The entire area has underground rivers and a limestone floor underneath the dirt, this is where they got all the limestone to build the buildings....there is a natural sinkhole in the ground, exposing the water table below, which wouldve provided water year round. They believed this is where the rain god lived, and made sacrifices accordingly. In 1904 a guy dredged the Cenote (water hole) and found a huge amount of gold, jade, pottery, human remains, everything that was sacrificed to the gods. Very cool.

link to the Cenote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mexico_Cenotes.jpg

They know all this from the carvings in the stone, some of the original colors can still be found in secluded areas shielded from the weather, reds, blues..... The carvings are intricate. Showing the captain of one team holding a knife in one hand and the head of the other captain in the other.....so on and so forth. Heres a few pics I managed to snap

original reds and blues I was talking about,

inside the game stadium

game stadium

warrior-look closely and you can make him out

warrior from further back

skulls, this was the platform where the beheading was done

skull platform

jaguar holding human heart-bird on the right holding human heart

me in front of "The Castle"

I could go on and on for days but I'm beat. I really wish I couldve explored more and more but couldnt.

Quick Reply: In Cancun, BORED