THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Any oilfield guys here, H2S safety?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any oilfield guys here, H2S safety?

Hey guys, just got finished doing an interview with Secorp Ind. here in Devine. They are specialized in h2s monitoring and respiratory safety. I kinda know what the job entails, but just wanted to see if anyone else is familiar with it/ how you like it.

They start you out at 13 an hour and work 14 on 7 off. Pay goes up after 90 days and 250? a week per deim. They are going to get me all set up with the certifications that I need then I'll be headed out to location. I just wanted to get my foot in the door with the oilfield industry because if you don't have experience it seems like NOBODY want you.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Regular

It's a good place to start. I had to take a all day h2s class for the job I have now. Pretty deadly stuff. We have a couple haynesville that measure 100 ppm at the well head. Just be careful around that crap.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

H2S is a helluva way to get into the industry lol. Be careful with that **** dude, it'll kill your *** DEAD.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive had training with that stuff at my last job, boring haha..

but yea its deadly, and you wont know till its too late.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SloStepSide
It's a good place to start. I had to take a all day h2s class for the job I have now. Pretty deadly stuff. We have a couple haynesville that measure 100 ppm at the well head. Just be careful around that crap.
I think it's going to be 3 days of h2s classes. I'm going to be over cautious with this stuff. They tell me with all the monitors and stuff that's set up everywhere that the only way something could happen to you is if you don't wear your correct gear.

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
H2S is a helluva way to get into the industry lol. Be careful with that **** dude, it'll kill your *** DEAD.
Yeah I know, I was actually waiting for a job with another company to hotshot and maintain generators and light towers. Oh well these guys called me first.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Ive had training with that stuff at my last job, boring haha..

but yea its deadly, and you wont know till its too late.
Yeah it's super boring stuff, but you better be paying attention when around it or you won't even know what hit you.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

heres a little sheet to go by, i pulled it from our MSDS website for SHELL OIL!

Toxicity of
Hydrogen Sulfide Gas
0.03 ppm Can smell. Safe for 8 hours exposure.
4 ppm May cause eye irritation. Mask must be used as it damages metabolism.
10 ppm Maximum exposure 10 minutes. Kills smell in 3 to 15 minutes. Gas causes eye
and throat injury. Reacts violently with dental mercury amalgam fillings
20 ppm Exposure for more than 1 minute causes severe injury to eye nerves.
30 ppm Loss of smell, injury to blood brain barrier through olfactory nerves
100 ppm Respiratory paralysis in 30 to 45 minutes. Needs prompt artificial resuscitation.
Will become unconscious quickly (15 minutes maximum).
200 ppm Serious eye injury and permanent damage to eye nerves. Stings eye and throat.
300 ppm Loses sense of reasoning and balance. Respiratory paralysis in 30 to 45 minutes.
500 ppm Asphyxia! Needs prompt artificial resuscitation. Will become unconscious in 3 to 5
minutes. Immediate artificial resuscitation is required.
700 ppm Breathing will stop and death will result if not rescued promptly, immediate
unconsciousness. Permanent brain damage may result unless rescued promptly

im sure you'll have safety monitors clipped on you, they go off get out, i been working around H2S for many many years, its not nice! anyway congrats on the job!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea we had the training, but was never around any of it.

Before we did confined space entry, we always purged it with Dry Breath grade Air. Depending on the size of the transformer, we would use up to 5 75# bottles. Two Hs2, and 2 oxygen meters. If one of them read hazardous, you would purge it again. If all 4 meters read good, off we went.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the informative sheet Skeet, that is some super nasty stuff. I wish I would have taken my dads friend up on a job offer back in 2006 as a floor hand for H&P. I could be banking right now. A buddy of mine is working as a driller for them and he works a month at a time over in Africa. He's the same age as me making around 200 thousand a year. The benefits and amount of money to be made in this industry is crazy.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

i use secorp....they got good equipment.

Quick Reply: Any oilfield guys here, H2S safety?