THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

40 days of community - Mercy's Door

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40 days of community - Mercy's Door

Some of you may know what 40 days of community is through your church. If you do not, the basic premise is to break the church up from one body to many life group bodies. As such, the smaller groups will have a larger impact in the community.

The life group my wife and I belong to have chosen to make our impact on the communtiy by choosing to help Mercy's Door boys facility. These boys have strict disciplinary guide lines in order to be admitted. All are there because of family issues that were beyond there control. To find out more about the facility, visit http://mercysdoor.net and look for yourself.

They recently started this facility and currently have 6 boys from 13 to 17, if I recall correctly. They do receive funds from the State of Georgia., I believe $400/wk on a prepaid Visa. But it does not last long. Besides the boys they bring in, one family has three children of there own. So gassing up a 15 passenger van and food kills the funds quick.

We contacted them and some non-monetary items they would like to receive are a basketball goal, a couple new basketballs, other related items to keep these kids active, challenged, and occupied.

If you wish to make a donation of any value, monetarily or items, please contact them directly. Locally I have stated to contect me. But, it would be easier just to deal direct.

Regardless, thanks for looking and acting in whatever manner you wish. Even if you are not a religious person by nature, these boys were in pretty messed up situations to be here.

Sean Mason
Old 11-08-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

We are going to organize this a little better. We are going to try to get them to do a wishlist/registry type of setup for non-monetary donations. That will allow for direct shipment and specific needs being met. More to follow.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

ttt - more information

In this particular home, it was started up in the last year. Along with the six boys there, they have three kids of there own. They do not have a lot of stuff to keep the kids positively occupied, this why our life group is getting involved. They do receive support from the state of GA. However, it is hardly enough at times. They need to take the money received and buy groceries, toiletries, gas for the van and other misc. stuff.

For some reason, Mercy’s Doors site is dorked (www.mercysdoor.net). My original post on here did not have any issues. If this stops you from trusted the project, I can understand.

Thank you, God bless, and Merry Christmas
Sean Mason

Last edited by Silver-Dollar; 12-18-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks to all who supported. Between the gifts, gift cards, and monetary donations, close to one thousand dollars was raised. The money will more than likely go to buying the things these kids need on a daily basis (underwear and socks included). Again, thanks to all who contributed.