Notices
TrailBlazer SS Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

Wrecked my TBSS

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that man. I know how you feel. Glad you're ok.

On a positive note, that's an interesting paint scheme.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:46 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you're ok. As for the airbags, it looks like you got under him and most of the damage was absorbed through the hood and upper grille area, and not so much directly through the frame. I'd guess that's why they didn't go off. You can see in your pics that the fenders don't even look crushed.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The frame is bent and you are correct about the fenders, they are damaged but not badly.

As for the airbags not deploying, I've been told they did exactly what they were supposed to do, they are designed to deploy in more offset frontal collisions. In my case it was a direct frontal impact which is likely why I wasn't hurt. The vehicle and seatbelts did exactly what they were designed to do and absorbed the brunt of the impact. In older vehicles the air bag would have deployed, many people were badly injured and even killed when going forward during a frontal impact and the force of the airbag hitting them in the face going against there momentum.

On another note, adjuster came and looked at it today and looks like it will be fixed. The damage is mostly sheetmetal. They will be recovering the rear seats due to the paint on the suede not coming out and some of the trim that is stained as well. Tow truck messed up the rear bumper cover (SLP Dual exit exhaust) so it will be replaced although it's easily repairable.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great news!
Old 04-19-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is really, I was hoping to have it fixed. They found another 08 front cap for the parts, I have no problem with used sheet metal however I am not going to allow any aftermarket parts.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

Man that wreck sucks but glad you weren't injured and it's getting fixed
Old 04-19-2010, 07:55 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Ive lost my faith here lately in some of the newer vehicles and their safety features, here is my buddy's Titan that he flipped end over end, crushed the roof on a gaurdrail all after nose diving sharp enough into a ditch to flip the truck.

None of the air bags deployed, and he walked away without a scratch at all, lucky *** bastard
Sounds like it did it's job pretty well then...
Old 04-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LowBlack99
The frame is bent and you are correct about the fenders, they are damaged but not badly.

As for the airbags not deploying, I've been told they did exactly what they were supposed to do, they are designed to deploy in more offset frontal collisions. In my case it was a direct frontal impact which is likely why I wasn't hurt. The vehicle and seatbelts did exactly what they were designed to do and absorbed the brunt of the impact. In older vehicles the air bag would have deployed, many people were badly injured and even killed when going forward during a frontal impact and the force of the airbag hitting them in the face going against there momentum.

On another note, adjuster came and looked at it today and looks like it will be fixed. The damage is mostly sheetmetal. They will be recovering the rear seats due to the paint on the suede not coming out and some of the trim that is stained as well. Tow truck messed up the rear bumper cover (SLP Dual exit exhaust) so it will be replaced although it's easily repairable.
I dont know that Id want it back after that much damage...
Originally Posted by dlt76028
Sounds like it did it's job pretty well then...
In a wreck like that Id want the air bags to deploy. It was pure luck that he didnt get hurt, the roof was caved in more than in the pictures originally. Thats way too much damage for them not to deploy.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man that sucks! But we are all glad your ok. Modern cars are really strong and hold up better than the old land boats that we all used to think were indistructable. Like what happend with the Titan. End over End and walked away. Try that in an older car.....RIP.

Anyways the Airbags should have gone off but the OnStar will only work if the service was activated. GM sells the cars with the OnStar service pre-paid and active for the first year only. It is then the owners responsiblity to keep the service going. I have mine disabled because its an older analog system (its based on cell phone service with verison) and mine needs to be upgraded to the newer digital system. I would like to activate it again but that will take time.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My ONSTAR is active, I recieved my maintenance status e-mail same day it was wrecked.

Quick Reply: Wrecked my TBSS