TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Stuff that should be made into stickies

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 06:21 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stuff that should be made into stickies

I think there are some things that could be made into stickies that would help everyone out. Such as getting unstuck techniques, tools to not leave the pavement without, maybe a gear ratio/tire size calculator, links to helpful offroad sources and so on. I will try and dig up some good stuff and maybe one of the mods can make it a sticky.

Ill start off with a trick to get unstuck. Numerous times I have gotten stuck when I was all by myself I have used this trick to get myself unstuck and our tractor at our farm. What you do is take a 2x4 or a thick limb that can support the weight of the rear of your truck. Next you put the 2x4 right by one of the rear tires and make sure there is an equal amount sticking out each end. Now take your chain or strap and run it through the spokes of your wheels around the 2x4 so the 2x4 is snug up against the wheel. Now when you pull forward the 2x4 will hit the ground and dig in and it will raise the rear end and at the same time push you forward.

Tools not to leave the road without for me is an air compressor, tire repair kit, come-along(only until I get my warn ti), strap, flashlight, one of the army spade shovels, some chain, if I know Im going off road Ill throw my trusty 2x4 in the bed, and last but not least the cell phone incase I cant get myself unstuck.

Ill look for a the gear ratio calculator and try and post up some good info for everyone I used to have a website bookmarked on my old computer that had some good stuff but thats back in texas and Im in alabama right now soooo...

Everyone post up any good info or knowledge they have.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Made in South Korea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't leave home without a tow strap or a hi-lift. Use the buddy system so if the beer falls out of one truck you still have beer

I miss my lifted truck
Old 07-26-2005, 01:19 PM

I have calmed down on my offroad excursions it smuch easier on my wallet. Yeah a high lift is great gotten me out of alot of bad situations in my bronco.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

a stuck pictures thread like the stuck pisc thread should be made a stiky!
Old 08-01-2005, 10:07 AM

Gear ratio calculator
http://www.bncoffroad.com/ratio/
Im going to try an dig some more stuff up for you guys when Ihave some spare time.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:11 AM

Great website has helped me with numerous questions
http://www.offroadsearch.com/
Old 08-02-2005, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

I think the forum needs basic guidelines that new people are going to wonder/ask. Persay:

Suspension/lift setups - 4 links, leafs, hell even the new log splitter rams people are crammng with air for an air spring setup. Things to look out for, get down to setting proper caster of the balljoints/kingpins and even doing the proper steering setup for your rig. Even if its just a long sticky thread of people chatting about it, it'll help when new people search for information.

Offroading thing could help - Talk about anchoring, setting a dig, etc. When it comes down to it, going offroad and beating on your rig for yourself seems to be the best teacher though.

Custom axle/brake setups - Could help with somebody trying to choose the proper axle setup for there application, or even help someone trying to cut budget and do there own rear disc brake setup..etc.

I know the forums starting off small, I'll get some friends to bookmark it and start checking up on it. Seems like it'll be an awesome forum though guys. I'd be happy to offer as much info as possible with the sticky stuff (whenever yall decide).
Old 08-02-2005, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Oh and gearing calculators are great, but only for ballpark, you gotta remmember it doesnt take account of rotating mass or tire drag etc (still extremely useful though). An easy formula for calculating gearing would be:

New Tire Diameter/ Old Tire Diameter x stock gear ratio

That sets a "economy" (or stock performance) gear setting for you, you can go a tad bit higher for power or lower for highway.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Tire caculator, i know its for miatas, forgive me, but it works.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by NoChrome
i know its for miatas, forgive me, but it works.
Its ok this website is for all makes now remember.
I have to remind myself sometimes too like in my post about the eaton I had to add in "all 4x4s" instead of just Z71s

Quick Reply: Stuff that should be made into stickies