TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Build or buy? Tow vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build or buy? Tow vehicle.

I live in Phoenix, AZ and tow a 25' boat with a reported dry weight around 5000lbs sitting on a steel double axle trailer with electric drum brakes. I have not had it on the scales, but a person with the same make/model says his weighed 7200lbs as typically towed. Seems plausible.

I used to tow this boat with a 2003 Silverado SS, and thought that truck towed the boat pretty well. I had to rev it pretty hard, but it never once ran out of steam. I sold that because it felt way to cramped with the wife and kids on long hauls. We go to Powell, Roosevelt, and the pacific which are all 2.5-6 hour rides with some pretty serious hills and never in less than 110* heat.

Later picked up a 2001 yukon xl 2500 with the 8.1l and around 100k on the clock. This truck has never pulled the boat "right". I did all of the basics to it, plugs, wires, fuel filter, fuel pump, etc, but I have been pretty disappointed so far. The truck is an SLT 4x4 with now probably 150k, but a ton of micky-mouse stuff wrong. Original owner was a smoker, so the truck stinks with the AC running - and I used to smoke too so its like double insult. Power mirrors don't work, lumbar is broken in the extended position, etc. I think I want a new tow vehicle.

I think I have considered almost everything on the market. Since this is pretty much a dedicated tow vehicle, I don't want to spend over 20k = so Im looking used. I would really prefer an SUV over a pickup. The obvious answer is a diesel truck or excursion, but all I seem to find in that price range is ford 6.0's and I don't wanna go there.

I can't convince myself there is a gas SUV (or 1500 series truck) that will OWN this load. I don't really want to make the investment and then have to pull every hill at 30mph in 2nd gear.

My thoughts:

Ford - Extended cab pickups too small so have to go big. Engines like the 5.4 are hard to get any more power out of (not looking to swap 4 cams). I doubt an expedition could do the job, maybe with the 6 speed?

Chevy - Duramax out of my price range. Don't think the 5.3 would get it done stock. 6.0+ hard to find in trucks or Tahoes. 2007+ burb with 6.2 would be great but again out of my price range. I do prefer GM though for ease of modding.

Dodge - Cant find a diesel in my price range. Not sure the hemi would get it done either? Limited research again says hard to get big gains out of a hemi with a tune, etc.

Imports - The hype had me sold on a Tundra, but reading around RV sites has me second guessing. The Armada seems close, but I hear they really fall flat over 45mph or so towing but thats hearsay. Thoughts?

point is I can't find a compelling ride under 20k that can handle this load. Am I over thinking?

So then I start thinking about the truck I have. Im sure the suspension hasn't been touched ever. The transfer case is probably a 3000$ ticking time bomb. But, I would think 5-6 grand would go a long way towards an engine/trans build, new carpets, maybe re-upholster the front buckets, and do a bit of front end work. Maybe delete 4x4 in the process for simplicity and weight savings?

So, what say you, Performance Truckers? Am I selling one of the trucks above short? Or should I do a mildly build 8.1 (or more built 6.0) and put some money into the 12 year old truck I own?
Old 10-15-2013, 06:22 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A 5.3 would do you just fine. If you can find something with a 6.0 you will be better off though. I have pulled many things with my 5.3 Tahoe. It has a custom tune and airbags on the rear for load capacity. With both the stock converter and my current 3200 stall and trans cooler it has done just fine.

I have pulled a few campers in the 4000 and 7000 pound ranges, a 15,000+ lb. mini excavator. And a buddy pulled his boat that I would assume is very similar to what you are looking at pulling. He has pulled the boat a half dozen times this year with my truck and loves it. This is coming from a guy who drives semi-truck.

I am buying an "01 Yukon Denali today that needs a trans rebuilt. It has the 6.0 and might be a great option for you. Not sure you are close to me at all(NW Ohio) but if not this one specifically you might be able to find one near you. IT books for mid $6000 so you would be well under you budget. Just a thought.

P.S. not sure where you live but I live on flat land so not much in the way of hills. If that isn't the case for you then you might want to look for at least the 6.0. The 5.3 should still do ok, but extra torque for the hills will be a major help!
Old 10-15-2013, 08:30 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

If you're set on a SUV, and you're not convinced the 1500 will handle the load that doesnt leave you many options. Honestly youre right, there isnt a 1500 out there that will 'handle' the load much better than the SSS in your price range. It has a powerful engine out of the gate, and 4.10 gears.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but a diesel excursion sounds like your best bet.
Ford : Excursion Limited Sport Utility 4-Door in Ford | eBay Motors

That or a 2500 suburban with the 6.0 that you can pop a supercharger or turbo on and be done... At that point it becomes more of a toy though. If this thing is a true work horse I may shy away from that. You will inevitably have some problems and be tinkering.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

I find it hard to believe you have trouble finding 6.0L trucks, as I see more than I do Duramax's and 8.1L trucks.

I have a CCSB 2500HD, which isn't very far off from a 2500 Suburban/Yukon XL, but I have never had issues towing with it. Even long haul trips, it was barely noticeable. The truck is hard on gas, but it's always in the optimum RPM band for cruising with a heavy load behind it, which makes long trips with a big Bobcat and tandem axle trailer very simple...even better than with my bosses 1999 Cummins Ram, which he didn't want to admit. The Cummins was a TQ monster, but only better for around town towing.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:16 PM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a 6.0 GM truck or SUV

It doesn't matter whether it's a 1500 or 2500

Personally, in your price range I would be looking at the GMT800 2500s, since they get the 4L80E and the 14-bolt rear

They are EVERYWHERE, as Koots said

I am in Yuma and have ironically been shopping for 8.1 trucks all over from here to San Diego, LA, Vegas, Phoenix, and Tucson, and there are 10 6.0s for every 8.1 I see
Old 10-29-2013, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2500 suburban with a 6.0 80e 14bolt and 4.10s with a tune and some simple Bolton's it should do everything you want and more. If not add a supercharger.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said youre looking to spend under 20K yes? Whats the differance between a crew cab truck and a tahoe? You can find a decent duramax for under 20 I thought

duramax in Cars & Trucks | eBay
Old 01-15-2014, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why not fix what you have? obviously the fact the truck has been smoked in is a turn off but with a little work im sure you could steam clean carpet and get some smell out. Also dont forget your truck has a cabin air filter which will trap plenty of crap including cig smell while on recirc....03 and up did not have cabin air filters. What gears are in it? 4.10s are a nice improvement over 3.73s in a 4l80 equipped truck. Did you clean the MAF as well as tb? not going to give it a 100hp but often over looked. Put a 180 degree t-stat in it and get a live tune and i think you will be shocked at the difference. The 8.1 is held back hard with torque management