TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Air bag setups (for towing)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the driver side bag lower bracket bent and it walked forward and was as far as it could go with 60psi in it and towing the car hauler and a S10... it didnt hurt it too bad

I dont think running them at 5psi is gonna hurt them.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to go back on my statement abiut the compressor. Spend the dough and get the compressor, the bicycle pump is a pita or atleast the one I bought is. After I recover from the holiday spending I'll be ordering the compressor kit and heavy duty front a rear sway bars. I hauled 1500# of deer feed to the lease a couple months ago and the helper bags worked great but the turns on the back roads could get a little hairy with all that weight if I wasnt careful.

Also when you install this kit make sure the valve core is tight in the valve stem. Apparently mine worked loose and caused some really shitty handling loaded down til I figured out one of my bags had went flat. This is also why I recommend the compressor kit as you can monitor bag pressure on the road.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:40 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me know when you are ready to get a compressor. I can get you a padle with gage viair 320c compressor for like $325 shipped. This is the set up we run on our company trucks. It works awesome. Fill the bags in about 20 seconds from almost emty to 100 psi. And the panel is about 2"x3". I will get some pics if you are interested.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
the driver side bag lower bracket bent and it walked forward and was as far as it could go with 60psi in it and towing the car hauler and a S10... it didnt hurt it too bad

I dont think running them at 5psi is gonna hurt them.
I agree. I think flat probably wouldn't be a problem but just reminiding of what was recomended. and 10psi is much better insurance then replacing a bag.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some pictures would be great. The helper bag compressor kit is 150ish but a better compressor could run a storage tank to fill tires etc.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwz28
I misses the minimum pressure post up there, I assume the bag is liable to rupture if the suspension articulates around it without sufficient pressure in the bag?
Way back I the bags with just the fill valve at the bumper and my minimum creeped below and the bags rubbed together until one got a hole and the other almost through. Do yourself a favor and get the in cab gauge. You can seem my gauge in the lower right corner here.

I now have an in cab gauge with drain button and fill switch. Then I added a 100% duty cycle Viair 450 compressor with a 3 way valve so I can swap to a tire fill setup. That Viar 450 will fill a LT265/70 R 17 from flat to 35 psi in under 5 minutes. The Viair 400 I think will do it faster but is not quite 100% duty.

Love the setup.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Some pictures would be great. The helper bag compressor kit is 150ish but a better compressor could run a storage tank to fill tires etc.
And it is rebuildable and much faster. The compressor I am talking about is currently on my Tahoe because the old blitz I had finaly took a crap. 33% duty cycle takes about 45 seconds to take my 1 gal. tank from 110-150.

I will try to take some pics monday and get you an exact price.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by custm2500
Let me know when you are ready to get a compressor. I can get you a padle with gage viair 320c compressor for like $325 shipped. This is the set up we run on our company trucks. It works awesome. Fill the bags in about 20 seconds from almost emty to 100 psi. And the panel is about 2"x3". I will get some pics if you are interested.
the compressor and switch is well worth the money i had this setup on my dodge when i pulled my car on a steel trailer no sagging at all love it fully adjustable from inside the cab
Old 12-15-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeh, a long time ago I was in the deer woods around 8AM @ 17°F before the 15-20 mph wind chill and suddenly heard air coming out of a tire as it rolled over. Changing that tire in those conditions drove me to the stronger compressor. I had the airlift compressor but not setup to tire fill because it would burn up first.
I keep a tire plug set and a quick connect hose with the kind of tire connector that stays on the schrader valve by its self. I fill it from the drivers seat.
The 3-way valve lets me bypass the bags. I also have a 115 psi safety relief valve in the system in case anything crazy happens.
I love tossing an ATV in the back and a trailer full and still have my ride and headlights aimed right.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wanted to show the tire fill hose I keep under the back seat. I have a quick connect by the reviver and as said a 3-way valve to isolate the flow for the task I want to do. The tire chuck will clip on and when not on the tire schrader valve it is open. I had a choice there for open or closed and I guess the compressor would cut off @ 10 psi but.....
I can stand by the tire and watch the gauge or sit in the truck and monitor the PSI there. Weather and/or Hot Female in distress mandated.
When filling the dash gauge needle will show and vibrate much higher. When you stop the compressor it shows the actual.

Position 1. Normal regulated minimum PSI and dash control to he bags. No flow to the 2 or 3 positions.
Position 2. Lock the air in the bags. (Never use it but its available if say there is a slow leak between the bags valve and the pump). No flow to the 1 & 3 positions.
Position 3. From the compressor to the rear hose quick connect and operated by the dash control. No flow to the 1 & 2 positions.

Edit: Since this picture was taken I have added a check valve before the gauge so when I stop the flow I get the tire's PIS only.

Name:  airhose_zps6fd6dbef.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  187.1 KB

Last edited by therock; 12-20-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Air bag setups (for towing)