TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

4 Inch lift on 91 w150

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 4 Inch lift on 91 w150

Hey guys,
Finally bit the bullet and bought a lift kit after I got under the truck and saw that the front leafs were almost on the bump stops So I bought a rough country 4 inch lift with blocks in back(I know, blocks are bad, rear springs are coming this summer), but I have never done this before and I have a few questions.
1. I have been researching this a lot and just saw an install video where they had to extend the brake lines, am I going to have to do that? If so not a big deal, but I want to get this done in one day if possible.

2. I have a full brush guard on the front of my truck which I believe is the problem with the front leafs in the first place. With the new lift kit springs in front will I need an add a leaf to sit level?

3. do you think I will be able to fit 35's???? that is my whole goal for this truck, my little brother has the same truck with a similar lift(his is rancho and came on the truck) and he cannot fit 35's in front. in back he is clearin em easy but catches just a bit up front. is that due to sag or just not enough lift? I feel add-a-leafs would fix his problem and that is what I suggested, but if I need add-a-leafs to sit level with the brush guard will add-a-leafs fix my 35's issues???? if not what is the next best thing to get 35's on this thing???

Thanks for all the help thus far guys, this is only my third post but my previous posts have been answered quickly and very well! thank you for all the excellent advice thus far!
Sam
Old 10-05-2012, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you bought a suspension lift you shouldnt have to extend brake lines. You should be able to fit 35s but the added weight of the brush gaurd may make your truck sag in the front. You can always make them fit by doing some trimming though
Old 10-05-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'd think a 4 inch lift would clear 35's fine, might need to do a little trimming the lower corners of the front fenders but i don't know. i know that the chevys around those years would clear 33's no problem with stock suspension. i never ran anything bigger than 31's on my old dodge but it appeared to have as much room as my old chevys. how heavy would you estimate your brush guard is?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Teching In

excellent! thanks guys! I know I fit a 33x11.50 on the front with the springs up front touching the bump stops so I think I should clear 35's, if not ill take the grinder to lower coners and make it happen! if I had to guess I would say that my brush guard weighs in at about 100-150lbs. I would post pics but im not sure how. the old springs are only three leafs and the new ones are 5 so I would guess they will handle the weight a little better! thanks again for the quick replies!
Sam